Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, I've reached my limit on uploads so unless there is a way to remove the old pics from discontinued threads, you'll just have to take my word for it. ;) (or I'll figure something else out. :brows::lol: )

Aw man... but I think you can edit the posts and remove photos if you wouldn't mind trying that. I always love seeing pictures of anything-angel!

Aw man... but I think you can edit the posts and remove photos if you wouldn't mind trying that. I always love seeing pictures of anything-angel!

Actually there is a small window of time upon which editing can occur. Also, removal of pics will disrupt the "flow" of the older posts.
Andy - You should look into third party image hosting sites such as Photobucket and Imgur. Both have mobile apps which allow you to upload pics directly from your camera phone/tablet. On a PC/Mac, the full browser versions will allow you select the image(s) you've uploaded and will provide the BBCodes for those images. Copy & paste into your post and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually there is a small window of time upon which editing can occur. Also, removal of pics will disrupt the "flow" of the older posts.
Andy - You should look into third party image hosting sites such as Photobucket and Imgur. Both have mobile apps which allow you to upload pics directly from your camera phone/tablet. On a PC/Mac, the full browser versions will allow you select the image(s) you've uploaded and will provide the BBCodes for those images. Copy & paste into your post and you are good to go.

Thanks but I don't use a "smart"phone and I tried a couple of outside sites and warnings from my anti virus programs came up so I'm not doing that either. As for the older posts, once they are no longer being viewed for a period of time, we should be able, IMO to remove the pics while leaving the written content. I see many other sites that do just that.
Just sayin' ;)

Thanks but I don't use a "smart"phone and I tried a couple of outside sites and warnings from my anti virus programs came up so I'm not doing that either. As for the older posts, once they are no longer being viewed for a period of time, we should be able, IMO to remove the pics while leaving the written content. I see many other sites that do just that.

Just sayin' ;)

I hear ya. Just the messenger.
Google+ is another option. Though I've not tried it and not a Google+ member, it is a free service with unlimited uploads. It won't do the whole BBCode for you, but it does provide the image URL.
The three options I've listed do not require a smart device. As long as can access the images (from your camera) on your PC/Mac, then it should be fine.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know :)

That is wonderful Andy. ?? Glad all is going well. Good luck on your future expansions. Looking toward to seeing the outcome. Any chance you can share some pictures of your fish.

On another note I went into PetSmart the other day and was surprised to see a decent selection of Angelfish. They had some really nice marbles and golds.

That is wonderful Andy. ?? Glad all is going well. Good luck on your future expansions. Looking toward to seeing the outcome. Any chance you can share some pictures of your fish.

On another note I went into PetSmart the other day and was surprised to see a decent selection of Angelfish. They had some really nice marbles and golds.

Unfortunately, Silvers, Marbles, Golds, Smokeys & Blushing are the most commonly available Angels and the ones with the most amount of defects ( as far as I've encountered) due to them being around the longest and inbreed the most. :( Ironically, I was with my Buddy at another Box store and also saw some really nice small veil Angels until I looked closer. :^s then I looked at the tank next to them with Medium sized Angels and one had a rather obvious saddle deformity which made us both ask "Why wasn't that fish euthanized as a fry? That's NOT a healed injury but a genetic defect!!" So their suppliers are no better than anyone else's who doesn't practice strong culling.

As for pictures, I still have mostly what I've had posted in past threads. The only really new fish are a breeding trio of 1/2 Black Veils which, unfortunately, are having a little bit of an issue with the transition to my water or hatchery. So until they are more settled, I don't want to hassle them with flashes from my camera. Keep checking my albums in my bio and I will post some there as I have some new pics to post. (y)

Hey there Andy.
Please post the link for your other thread so we can all pop over and subscribe!

Congrats for you getting some fish growing up and needing to do a possible expansion!!!

I have a question about my 2 grown male angels, which I moved from the 72G (with loads of other fish) to my usual 46G QT tank in the interest of creating peace, but that didn't really happen.

The two were chasing other fish around the tank. Mostly the Gold one doing the chasing (the older one). Now I have noticed them doing lots of fighting between each other - the stand offs and shaking towards each other and then lip locking.

As far as I know they are males... Haven't seen a single egg. 6 months ago I rehomed the other two Angels which were females and produced eggs. So it was obvious.

What can I do? I wanted to keep 3 or 4 males in a display thinking they would be pretty peaceful after recommendations. Any thoughts or ideas? Just not gonna work? Or only a select magic combination of Angelfish?

Most of my pics are in the "Wigglers at last!!!!" thread which is in the archives somewhere I'm sure. :lol:
As for your males, there will always be a dominant fish and a subordinent and these 2 are just going to keep hashing that out until they decide who is who. To help, you can add a lot more sight breaks so the fish can go to different parts of the tank and not see each other or you will just have to separate them. The problem may also be that the tank is just too small for the 2 of them together. Old large Angels can be a problem fish to deal with. They get set in their ways and then nothing "usual" may happen. :facepalm:

That's a good point about the tank. They have been in the 72G tank for a year for the older one and before that he was in the 46G, and before that was growing up in the 72G (so he probably feels like it was HIS home). The younger adult grew up in the 72G.

The 46G they are in now doesn't have many hiding areas/sight breaks mainly one, as the plants are loose in the tank and the filter kind of swirls the loose plants into one mass. So it is one entangled large Anubias chunk ~10" and the Wisteria babies and stems. Some moss and misc. plants I grabbed out of a bucket. As it was a QT there wasn't any plants in before. Only add in as needed.

Wondering if I try to put them back in the big tank if they will have calmed down over the territorry.

What I did notice after removing them from the 72G community tank was that all the smaller fish were SO much happier not being chased around, and swim freely all over the tank now.

:(

I didn't really want to keep another tank. Might try to move the less cranky younger one over to the 72G and see how the community responds.

They are Cichlids bottom line, particularly behave a certain way and I am disappointed though not surprised. Feeling like if the tank was larger it would make for a better community f they were included there. Maybe step up looking for an economical 6' bowfront version. ;) Needed an excuse..... lol!

You got the bottom line right. These are Cichlids and they are going to do what Cichlids typically do. No matter how much you want them to change, it's not a healthy fish that just accepts it's fate and gets along with everyone. That's the misnomer about Angels. It's only their name, not their disposition. :nono:

FYI: A bigger tank does not guarantee a better result. For some fish, it just makes them feel like they have a bigger home territory.

You got the bottom line right. These are Cichlids and they are going to do what Cichlids typically do. No matter how much you want them to change, it's not a healthy fish that just accepts it's fate and gets along with everyone. That's the misnomer about Angels. It's only their name, not their disposition. :nono:

FYI: A bigger tank does not guarantee a better result. For some fish, it just makes them feel like they have a bigger home territory.

Nooooooo!!!!!!! lol!

Misnomer is right! The last few years of keeping them they have been loads of trouble. ;) Unfortunately I still really like them.:facepalm:

:thanks: for the encouraging discouragment - :lol: telling it like it is!

It took a while and settling some issues with the county but FINALLY I have the beginnings of my hatchery to share. :D
Over the course of the next few months, I will document, as best I can, what is involved in putting together a hatchery to make both good fish & money at breeding fish. It won't happen overnight, so don;t think you are going to see the final results quickly but what I do and how I do it is what's key. The ultimate goal is for 14 pairs of Angelfish. For me, that means a minimum of 56 tanks. I say minimum as there may be multiple small tanks instead of a single larger tank. I've left enough floor space open to arrange racks for either large vats or multiple smaller tanks on a drainage system.
Here's the first shots of building from just a patch of grass:
What does your angels diet consist of? My girl won’t look twice at any shrimp I’ve tried, she’s got a thing for blood worms and recently I found “bug bites” on clearance at the pet store she goes nuts for those and will actually hand feed with them! She’s really not picky but definitely not a shrimp girl.

What does your angels diet consist of? My girl won’t look twice at any shrimp I’ve tried, she’s got a thing for blood worms and recently I found “bug bites” on clearance at the pet store she goes nuts for those and will actually hand feed with them! She’s really not picky but definitely not a shrimp girl.
The breeders got a diet of high protein Breeder flakes in the am, live worms in the afternoon and frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms as their last meal of the day. Fry got newly hatched baby brine shrimp 3 times per day. Grow outs got a high quality growth flake in the morning and afternoon feedings and frozen brine shrimp as their last meal of the day. They would also get live worms and frozen bloodworms a few times per week. The key was not feeding just one food so that they didn't get locked into eating only one thing. (y)

Back
Top Bottom