Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the parents with their babies. Not sure if you can see the babies, tiny white specks at the lower right of the picture. But I love watching how they act together. So fun. And the momma really does NOT like when I put the turkey baster in to feed the babies. Launches her whole body at it to attack.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121223_212058.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121223_212058.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 501
We're on our 5th or 6th spawn with my angelfish "odd couple", and they've eaten all their eggs till now. So when I looked in the tank today, I wasn't surprised that the eggs were missing. Then I saw that the parents had moved then to a different leaf, and now they are wiggling!!!!

Yay!!!! We are one step closer to success!
(y)wow im still trying,,

congrats on the new babies. keep trying deb
not giving soon planing on finding home for all my cichlids and going to put all my angel in my 100 gal. then go from there , also need a home for some tinfoils barbs they are just to stress out i guess they never stop swimming just going to keep all sharks c. loach and silver dollars an all my angels,,:fish2:

My little swimmers are still hanging in there. :) I honestly can't tell if they are eating the foods I'm giving them. I've ordered some brine shrimp eggs. Can't wait till they get here.

Deb, my breeding angels are in their own tank. I've chosen to leave the parents in with the fry. Also, the tank has organic soil, capped with black sand. Lots of plants and drift wood. I'm using sponge filtration. The tank is a 30g.

I know none of this is traditional for breeding angels, but I'm really just breeding them for fun, and I love planted tanks.

Let us know how you progress. :)

i breed mine in either bare tanks or with gravel and tall plants. all spong filters. if you keep other angels with the breeders they risk getting beat up or eating the eggs from stress

A quick update... My swimmers did well, but seemed to get fewer and fewer. This morning I couldn't find any left.

My best guess is that the food was not sufficient. Of course the brine shrimp eggs arrived today. Too late for this batch, but wish me better luck on the next batch. :)

with the addition of freezedried bloodworms to her diet my female is spawning every 10 days about... and the male has finally decided to grudgingly pair with her... her 5th and his 4th spawn were last friday, and still the eggs dont last the night. oh well. im also breeding for fun atm, but will be getting a 20g for a fry tank soon... good luck everyone!

You're having better luck than me. I'm *still* waiting :(
Please don't take this the wrong way but "LUCK" has very little to no real position when it comes to breeding Angelfish. If your fish are old enough and definitely a male & female and they are not spawning, it is probably environmental issues that are preventing them. Check your fish's diet, water quality/parameters, temperature and tank placement for suitability. One of these is probably the issue. With the proper conditions, it is harder to prevent them from breeding than the other way around. ;) No luck necessary. :D

Keep us posted (y)

Please don't take this the wrong way but "LUCK" has very little to no real position when it comes to breeding Angelfish. If your fish are old enough and definitely a male & female and they are not spawning, it is probably environmental issues that are preventing them. Check your fish's diet, water quality/parameters, temperature and tank placement for suitability. One of these is probably the issue. With the proper conditions, it is harder to prevent them from breeding than the other way around. ;) No luck necessary. :D

Keep us posted (y)

Nothing has changed with them. Same environment, parameters are perfect, but still nothing. The female stays hidden. The male is always attacking her, I just don't know why he does this to her now. I'm going to get a video clip of it. He will just come at her until she runs and hides.

Nothing has changed with them. Same environment, parameters are perfect, but still nothing. The female stays hidden. The male is always attacking her, I just don't know why he does this to her now. I'm going to get a video clip of it. He will just come at her until she runs and hides.

It sounds like your female may just be too timid for this male or she just doesn't like him. It does happen. If she doesn't look plump with eggs, you may want to separate the 2 until she does. This way, she won't have to take the abuse before being ready. As Cichlids, Angels do go through a rather aggressive pre-nuptual courtship prior to spawning. If one of the parties isn't up for it, they can get hurt.
PM me if we need to discuss this further as I don't want to highjack this thread ;) (y)

Will the young parents sometimes regress? I think the momma ate her wigglers this morning. I haven't seen them all day. :(

Will the young parents sometimes regress? I think the momma ate her wigglers this morning. I haven't seen them all day. :(

Watch the parent fish carefully. Angels are notorious for moving their fry around to different places for protection. It can drive a sane person crazy :banghead: If they have not eaten them, you will see the parent(s) going to the fry and mouthing them and moving them around.

However, I thought in your post of 12/29/12 you said that the fry were all gone? Is this from a new spawning? If so, they would most probably be hidden somewhere in your tank.

happy hunting :D

Hi Andy, and thanks for the response. Yes, this was a new spawn. Still wiggler stage as of last night. I expected they would be free swimming today or tomorrow at the latest, and have been cooking up, or hatching up, a batch of brine shrimp. But today they seem to have disappeared. I'll keep my eyes open and keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom