Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here's a taste ;)

Okay, I give you a taste of what's to come :D
I turned this area in the first pic into this ...... ( I threw the middle pic in so you can see the size of the inside. )
(That's all for this thread. I will make a new thread once I get further along. There needs to be some interior construction still which will be a couple of weeks away.)

Attachments

• the beginning.jpg
    the beginning.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Step 2.jpg
    Step 2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 99
  • finished building.jpg
    finished building.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 86
He has been in this back corner in the same position since I turned the lights on this morning. It's 2pm now. His girlfriend comes over for a bit and will leave to fight and then return to his side. I don't see any eggs, could he be guarding imaginary eggs? Or just guarding this chosen site?

If it helps, water change day is Tuesday. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411247633.508814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Usually it's the males that do the majority of the defending but if you are sure it's the female doing the protecting..............

Sometimes they protect a site first before spawning. That might be what's happening. Are you sure they didn't already spawn and you missed it? Post spawning protection when you don;t see anything is one way to know they have wigglers they have moved for protection. They don;t usually move eggs, they move the wigglers, repeatedly.

Until you know for sure what's the deal with them, you may want to limit the water changes for now. Massive water changes can put the fish off spawning. A slight drop in temp during the water change can also incite them to spawn. So, like I said, until you know exactly what's happening, you don;t want to change to much. The fish might be liking the parameters as they are to spawn.

Hope this didn;t confuse you ;)

So I thought my little gold pair had hit a wall growth wise. I put them on some beef heart flake with their other diet and man they have hit a nice little growth spurt.

Lookin good Andy!

So I thought my little gold pair had hit a wall growth wise. I put them on some beef heart flake with their other diet and man they have hit a nice little growth spurt.

Lookin good Andy!

It might be a sign that their other diet isn;t the right one for them to grow on :whistle: They shouldn't be having "spurts" but be constantly growing. Just sayin' ;)

As for the building, I'm having some issues with the permit dept. so I can't do much inside until they get their act together. :facepalm: I have pallets of brick and lumber and no ability to do anything with them :(

Usually it's the males that do the majority of the defending but if you are sure it's the female doing the protecting..............

Sometimes they protect a site first before spawning. That might be what's happening. Are you sure they didn't already spawn and you missed it? Post spawning protection when you don;t see anything is one way to know they have wigglers they have moved for protection. They don;t usually move eggs, they move the wigglers, repeatedly.

Until you know for sure what's the deal with them, you may want to limit the water changes for now. Massive water changes can put the fish off spawning. A slight drop in temp during the water change can also incite them to spawn. So, like I said, until you know exactly what's happening, you don;t want to change to much. The fish might be liking the parameters as they are to spawn.

Hope this didn;t confuse you ;)

I'm a little concerned about this. I'm not set on the genders. The problem is........ The 45g we bought them isn't set up yet and the sponge filter is still running. Both pairs are in the community tank still.

Okay, Mr. Andy, what now. Do I move them and say the hell with potential eggs or wiggles? Or do I wait a bit and see if anything becomes free swimming? What if they DO spawn in the time I'm waiting and I'm in the same spot again right?

Sent from my iPhone

It might be a sign that their other diet isn;t the right one for them to grow on :whistle: They shouldn't be having "spurts" but be constantly growing. Just sayin' ;)

As for the building, I'm having some issues with the permit dept. so I can't do much inside until they get their act together. :facepalm: I have pallets of brick and lumber and no ability to do anything with them :(

Yes sir, it seems the decap brine shrimp are good to a point, I'e aried things up a good bit now. Glad to see more growth and courting in those two.

That silver pair still spawn about twice a month. I removed the slate, but they still lay on the heater every now and then.

I feel your pain with permits and such. Things of that nature can be a real pain.

I noticed one of my golds has a gill plate deformity, I know it may get passed down but I'd still like to have this pair spawn and cull as needed.

I'm a little concerned about this. I'm not set on the genders. The problem is........ The 45g we bought them isn't set up yet and the sponge filter is still running. Both pairs are in the community tank still.

Okay, Mr. Andy, what now. Do I move them and say the hell with potential eggs or wiggles? Or do I wait a bit and see if anything becomes free swimming? What if they DO spawn in the time I'm waiting and I'm in the same spot again right?

Sent from my iPhone

My #1 rule is always, ALWAYS protect the parents and if necessary, sacrifice a spawn. The pair will make more eggs within a month but it will be months to a year for the eggs to produce more eggs.
So I would either put in a divider or separate the pairs or move the pairs ( if the new tank has a cycled sponge filter). That's what I would do. (y)

My #1 rule is always, ALWAYS protect the parents and if necessary, sacrifice a spawn. The pair will make more eggs within a month but it will be months to a year for the eggs to produce more eggs.

So I would either put in a divider or separate the pairs or move the pairs ( if the new tank has a cycled sponge filter). That's what I would do. (y)

The sponge filter has been running in the community tank for almost a week. And I was thinking of taking the water out of the 180 and filling one of the breeders up 3/4 full with tank water and then adding the last 1/4 fresh treated water so it would be like a water change instead of starting a whole new tank. I can do that as early as tomorrow. Good plan?

Edit: the second sponge filter just went in to the community tank to get ready 3 days ago and we DO have an other tank for the second pair as well. But I think if we move one of the pairs we can buy time to figure out where the 9th fish tank is going to go in our already crowded home and move that pair then. That just leaves three young angels in the 180 to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone

The sponge filter has been running in the community tank for almost a week. And I was thinking of taking the water out of the 180 and filling one of the breeders up 3/4 full with tank water and then adding the last 1/4 fresh treated water so it would be like a water change instead of starting a whole new tank. I can do that as early as tomorrow. Good plan?

Edit: the second sponge filter just went in to the community tank to get ready 3 days ago and we DO have an other tank for the second pair as well. But I think if we move one of the pairs we can buy time to figure out where the 9th fish tank is going to go in our already crowded home and move that pair then. That just leaves three young angels in the 180 to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone

Good plan. Just keep watch of the ammonia level in the new tank just in case the filter hasn't matured enough in the week. (y)

6 weeks old and split into 2 10s and a 29.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1411424447486.jpg
    1411424447486.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1411424464744.jpg
    1411424464744.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 1411424477923.jpg
    1411424477923.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 107
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411436700.647385.jpg

My latest beauties. The camera on my phone doesn't show the red very well. Looking forward to raising and trying to breeding them

Cheers, Ray

Hi guys I'm interested in breeding some angelfish that I currently have in my community tank, I think I may have a pair but I'm not too sure as they are not showing their breeding tube.

I am planning on putting them in a 20 litre tank which is quite well planted.
Can anyone tell me what and where I can start from to get them ready to breed or any advice that will help me?

Thanks a lot for any help given :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello and welcome to the thread. All the advice we have is in this thread. Read it through from the start and if anything that doesn't seem clear ask away. I'm assuming that you meant to say a 20 gal tank correct? If you are planning on keeping with plants be careful with broad leaf plants if you want to hatch the eggs yourself. It's best to have a slate in the tank for them to spawn on.

Sent from my iPad

Hello and welcome to the thread. All the advice we have is in this thread. Read it through from the start and if anything that doesn't seem clear ask away. I'm assuming that you meant to say a 20 gal tank correct? If you are planning on keeping with plants be careful with broad leaf plants if you want to hatch the eggs yourself. It's best to have a slate in the tank for them to spawn on.

Sent from my iPad

+1 (y) Everything you need to know has been discussed in this thread. Good luck with your efforts (y)

Sent from my iPad

Thanks very much the thing is there is too much to read through there are around 132 pages :/ so is there any chance you can give me tips or what to do and what not to do? It would be much appreciated!
No I meant 20 litres we don't use gallons over here :p
Urm the plants are there to make it look nice and provide oxygen I have also put in a slate so which ever they prefer
I'm mostly likely going let them look after the eggs the 1 few times and see how they get on but I don't know how to start

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This thread has been closed.
There is a lot of information here, but the thread is almost 2 years old, and has become very off topic from the OP's original intent. If anybody has questions about their specific situation, feel free to read through the information in here, and feel free to start your own individual thread. Please refrain from hijacking a different thread with your own questions. It is in the community rules to only post on topic and to avoid hijacking other people's threads. You can certainly start your own threads though, or refer back to this one for information.
Thanks, and happy posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom