Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought my male lacked parenting skills, til i swapped females so he was with the girl he liked and all of a sudden he is a pro!!! She is plumping up again and hopefully this time since they are fully paired he will fertalize more of the eggs. This last batch was less than 12 hours after i put her in with him so he did a rush job and missed a bunch of eggs.

I have concurred eggs now. I think we have three females and one male. Hopefully they will pair off soon and I can add to the excitement of this thread!!

So, are angels good to start to learn how to breed fish with?

live bearers are easy, and ull learn a bit about fry care, but egg layer fry like angels have different care needs as they are MUCH smaller and more delicate. im a first time angel breeder after countless batches of guppy fry, and im not having any issues so far! the biggest complaint i have is that 1/8 tsp of Brine Shrimp eggs is still 2 much for 3 daily feedings of my fry, and i end up wasting some, so im gonna start using even less eggs, but my female is plumping up again and should be laing agin in another week or so, she is younger than my other female and has a longer spawn cycle because of it... as for my male, i got lucky and found him and was able 2 trade an unwanted female for him...

So, are angels good to start to learn how to breed fish with?

The best fish to learn how to raise baby fish ( a.k.a. fish fry ) are any of the livebearers ( Guppies, Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, gambusia, etc.). The easiest egglayers to learn how to raise fry are generally the danios,( Zebras, Pearls, Albinos, etc.) They spawn quite frequently and the fry grow quickly. They give you some good experience in raising infusoria cultures as well as conditioning fish, moving fry and whatnot. Angelfish can be very disruptive to a tank when they pair off to breed. I don't recommend them as a first fish to " learn the ropes" of raising egglayer fry.

Hope this helps (y)

Lol yeah I was thinking the same thing till I watched her more closely and seen her spitting the on to a leaf, I was surprised really as this is there first time spawning, so was expecting th to eat the eggs! But the mom is ace at it! Unlike the dad lol he did his deed now spends all his time at the other end of the tank looking at the tv lol

Are you sure SHE was a first time spawner? First timer means of any time. The first time 2 prior successful breeders breed is not the same thing and should have very different results than a first timer. Either way, enjoy the games they will play with you ;) (y) BTW: The return response to Hide the Fry is " Where the heck did they put them NOW????????? :ROFLMAO:

Start prepping fry food ;)

Are you sure SHE was a first time spawner? First timer means of any time. The first time 2 prior successful breeders breed is not the same thing and should have very different results than a first timer. Either way, enjoy the games they will play with you ;) (y) BTW: The return response to Hide the Fry is " Where the heck did they put them NOW????????? :ROFLMAO:

Start prepping fry food ;)

Well yes maybe not her first time but defo for me, iv got about 17 wriggles at the min, I'm going to set my bbs set up tonight and hope I get some bbs as every other time iv done it iv never got any bbs to feed the fry :-(. Yes on hide the fry is starting to wear very thin now lol 9 moved in the last 2 days lol from leaf to rock ! Back to leaf back to rock lol

These are my breeding pair but I have a question

the big one is my male and I don't no how to describe him? Is he a smokey type ?

Attachments

• image-207325943.jpg
    image-207325943.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 72
Well yes maybe not her first time but defo for me, iv got about 17 wriggles at the min, I'm going to set my bbs set up tonight and hope I get some bbs as every other time iv done it iv never got any bbs to feed the fry :-(. Yes on hide the fry is starting to wear very thin now lol 9 moved in the last 2 days lol from leaf to rock ! Back to leaf back to rock lol

Welcome to the world of parent raising Angelfish :D :blink: :facepalm: ( These emoticons are also the typical reactions of people ( in that order) as their fish raise their fry. ) :fish2:

If you are having probs hatching brine shrimp, you may need to use a light ( I use a fluorescent one so it's on 24 hrs per day) or adjust the salt level. Also make sure the eggs are in constant motion. If these don't work, PM me for my specifics for hatching BBS in 24 hours.(y)

Bubba and Stumpy, who havent spawned in quite a while, are at it right now. There seems to be confusion in the tank tho. Timon and Pumba dont like someone using their spawning spot, and everyone else is generally hanging out. I guess Bubba has lost his aggression. I'm watching and Stumpy seems to have forgotten the process a little bit, she's not exactly planting the eggs, so alot of them are floating away, making tasty snacks for everyone.

These eggs I will be snatching from them. Got the 10 gallon ready.

Andy, if you will please, give me the crass course (again?) on the BBS hatching. I dont know if the frozen BBS I use for my convicts will work for them.

i will have eggs soon 2! tubes dropped on both fish, and being fully paired this time i should have a higher hatch rate, and she has BIG spawns! LOTS of babies soon! since it took so long last time should i click up the temp a bit and see if it effects development

i will have eggs soon 2! tubes dropped on both fish, and being fully paired this time i should have a higher hatch rate, and she has BIG spawns! LOTS of babies soon! since it took so long last time should i click up the temp a bit and see if it effects development

I'd try to keep the temp between 78 and 80. Slower development of the egg is actually better for the fry than fast hatching. There seem to be more die off of fry when the hatch date is sped up. Also more "retarded" fry at higher temps.
Remember, slow and steady wins the race ;)

Bubba and Stumpy, who havent spawned in quite a while, are at it right now. There seems to be confusion in the tank tho. Timon and Pumba dont like someone using their spawning spot, and everyone else is generally hanging out. I guess Bubba has lost his aggression. I'm watching and Stumpy seems to have forgotten the process a little bit, she's not exactly planting the eggs, so alot of them are floating away, making tasty snacks for everyone.

These eggs I will be snatching from them. Got the 10 gallon ready.

Andy, if you will please, give me the crass course (again?) on the BBS hatching. I dont know if the frozen BBS I use for my convicts will work for them.

If you can present the frozen to the fry so that it's moving ( like with a baster), it should work. Bob uses frozen all the time . Otherwise:
Make the temp of the water between 88 and 90 degrees.
Make a solution equal to 5 tablespoons of salt per 1 gal of water. (2 1/2 Tablespoons per 1/2 gal of water)
Make sure airpump is pumping enough air to circulate the bs eggs and they don't cluster on the bottom.
Make sure airstone produces larger bubbles or airline has a weight to hold it down at the bottom of the container. Position the end so that the water circulates in a circle.

That's the fast version ;);)

i will try a test batch and see what happens. I still keep the frozen BBS too. Stumpy is still sliding up the tube like she is still laying eggs? I'm gonna give her til morning and I'm moving the eggs. I want to make sure they have been fertilized.

i will try a test batch and see what happens. I still keep the frozen BBS too. Stumpy is still sliding up the tube like she is still laying eggs? I'm gonna give her til morning and I'm moving the eggs. I want to make sure they have been fertilized.

I'm thinking that when she's sliding up the tube that she fanning the eggs. Probably safe to take them out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom