Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelWings

Aquarium Advice Freak
We're on our 5th or 6th spawn with my angelfish "odd couple", and they've eaten all their eggs till now. So when I looked in the tank today, I wasn't surprised that the eggs were missing. Then I saw that the parents had moved then to a different leaf, and now they are wiggling!!!!

Yay!!!! We are one step closer to success!

Thanks Bob! They piled a bunch pod wigglers on a leaf along with a bunch of sand. LOL!

How soon do I start feeding them?

And the male seems to have some white fuzzy stuff around his mouth... Any ideas what that could be? Finally a step closer to successful breeding, I don't want to lose him now!

They were still wiggling away when I left this morning. :)

The male seems to be chasing the female away from the babies, and I saw him pick some up and put them back on the leaf. Is this normal? Or do I have the male and female mixed up? I haven't seen them lay eggs, but by looking at their breeding tubes, I thought I had it figured out.

You see, like most things in life, "practice makes perfect." Your fish are right about on schedule ;)
As for the fuzzy stuff on the mouth, watch to make sure that the fish hasn't injured itself while cleaning the spawning site or from the pre-nuptual lip locking that most Angels do. If it doesn not go away in a day or it gets bigger, it's most likely a fungus on the wound and it should be treated in a separate tank from the fry. This is not totally unusual with breeders. They tend to get really banged up when spawning. A quick medication fix and they should be back and ready for action in no time. Keep us posted (y)

Thanks Andy! I'll keep an write on the lip. His tail sees to be shredded too. It appears that he is bickering with the momma to keep her away from the babies. Maybe I have then mixed up... Not sure which sec is the primary protector in angelfish.

As of this morning we still have about 15 wigglers, so the poppa must be doing his job well!

Darn autocorrect... I meant to say I'll keep an eye on his lip.

And I don't know which sex is more prone to protecting the babies. Is it normal for the male to move the babies around and chase the momma away from them? Do you guys have any idea?

Darn autocorrect... I meant to say I'll keep an eye on his lip.

And I don't know which sex is more prone to protecting the babies. Is it normal for the male to move the babies around and chase the momma away from them? Do you guys have any idea?

LOL That's why I use my desktop to type my answers :D:lol:

Here's the deal on Angels and protection that I have experienced: Sometimes it's the male, sometimes it's the female and sometimes it's the both of them that protects the spawn. Usually, the one doing the protecting is more protective because the other one had eaten the previous spawn(s) so the one is trying to keep that from happening again. In time, this can change as the spawns become larger and more frequent and the fish mature. Sometimes the fish just adjust and all is fine at the homefront. BUT, It's okay either way.

As for the moving of the fry, Angels are notorious for doing this. It used to drive me crazy :facepalm: I'd know there was a spawning but then I couldn't find the fry. Then the fry showed up free swimming (seemingly out from nowhere) and you pat yourself on the back but you really had nothing to do with it. lol :lol: It's why I chose to artifically hatch out my spawns once I went into the fish breeding business. ( I was even breeding 100 pairs of Angels at one hatchery and hatching them all artifically.) You have more control of the outcome.

So for now, just watch your pair when they spawn next time so you can know for sure who is the male and who is the female (not that it matters when it comes to the issue you are talking about now {protection} but may come into play down the road should you lose one of them.) Also keep watching the injury and act quickly if it continues to worsen.

Hope this clears things up a bit more. (y)

my angels just spawned for the second time 2night, 3dr time my girl has laid... the male is alot bigger than her and is tending the eggs more than her, cause he keeps chasing her away... i really hope i get babies this time! good luck with ur babies!

i'm so jealous! I think my angels are on strike :(

All I can say is that if your Angels are not breeding like clockwork, check their water parameters and your feeding. That's the one thing about Angels, they can become extremely predictable for spawns. My only surprise was always the first spawn ;).

Hope this helps (y)

All I can say is that if your Angels are not breeding like clockwork, check their water parameters and your feeding. That's the one thing about Angels, they can become extremely predictable for spawns. My only surprise was always the first spawn ;).

Hope this helps (y)

Yea I think I will vary the diet and pick up on water changes. There may be something I'm not aware of

Yea I think I will vary the diet and pick up on water changes. There may be something I'm not aware of

When it comes to breeding, you'll find that if you keep a schedule (ie feeding at certain times, water changes on certain days, etc.) your breeders will do the same. In my hatcheries, I did weekly water changes for my 7 day breeders on Fridays and always had spawns on Mondays. I did it this way so that the fish had peace and quiet and few interuptions on the weekends and it produced very good results ;) Fish that took longer in between spawns had a different water change day. Their spawns also were very predictable.

If you set up and keep a schedule, I'd be surprised if your fish didn't do the same. (y)

Congrats :D Make sure you have fry food (like Live newly hatched brine shrimp) ready because you need to start feeding them now. ;)
This is where the fun starts, waiting to see what they grow up to look like ;)

Unfortunately I don't have baby brine shrimp. I have fry food that I've crushed down as small as I can get it and I'm feeding with a baster right to where the fry are.
The fry food is a mixture of New Life Spectrum Grow, and Artificial Artemia by Azoo.

Well this be sufficient? I don't have any pet stores within an hour of my home, so I'm limited to mail order for most supplies.

Unfortunately I don't have baby brine shrimp. I have fry food that I've crushed down as small as I can get it and I'm feeding with a baster right to where the fry are.
The fry food is a mixture of New Life Spectrum Grow, and Artificial Artemia by Azoo.

Well this be sufficient? I don't have any pet stores within an hour of my home, so I'm limited to mail order for most supplies.

In all honesty, these are new foods to me so I don't know if they are sufficient. Time will tell. If you don't see the fry getting big tummies after you feed, you need to get another food. I only used live brine in the past as a first food. The nice thing about brine shrimp is that they are orange in color so you can tell when the babies are eating. After they eat, it looks like a bunch of orange balls swimming around the tank :lol:

Keep us posted (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom