Wigglers at last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For you Moose:

[center:089a9f6347] :multi: Go Fry Go :multi: [/center:089a9f6347]

Menagerie, the time taken to creat it was well worth the laugh :wink: (you ever considered taking up a second hobby?? LOL)

Brian, keep us posted. We want a play by play on these fry. (I'm sure your nose is pressed to the glass every waking moment your home. All it takes is 30 seconds to place a camera between you and the glass :p )

Lovely fish! SO when are you going to pass those on to all your firends here on AA? LOL I think my next tank will be a discus tank.

Congratualtions!!

Well at 4:30 in the AM let's see if I'm coherent enough to answer some these questions.

I plan on quitting my job and becoming a full time discus breeder in October of 2104. :lol: But really, as a hobby it's great fun. As an occupation it would be way too much work.

As of right now I can count 10 fry. They are busy darting all over the tank spending some time between the breeding cone, the surface for some reason, and bothering their parents. This evening they will get their first feeding of frozen daphnia. :D

As for shipping them to OK frshwaterfinatc, you never know :wink:

Oh, and TG, you're right. I spend quite a bit of time glued to that tank.

Well this pair just threw a wrench in the works. Apparently Saturday is the day of love at my house. Another spawn! So far, the parents haven't eaten the 10 fry, but I have my doubts they will survive.

I think i see swimmers and the new eggs on the cone... Good luck.. Hope a few of the swimmers make it.

Moooose

BrianNY said:
Well 15 90gs puts my little venture to shame. *LOL*

I got this proven from a breeder friend of mine. I will say.......I stole the pair for $300. However, they haven't spawned in my room yet. I think they are quite finnicky and may take a few months to adjust. He told me he had some probs with them, and I'm accepting it as a challenge. :wink: They produce small spawns and the female is a fry eater.

Sounds like my altums, I haven't witnessed it but everytime I leave them to go to bed one of them eats the eggs in the middle of the night. The eggs are lasting about 18 hours.

Sometimes turning the lights off can spook them. Try leaving the light in their tank on while they are guarding the eggs. :wink:

BrianNY said:
Sometimes turning the lights off can spook them. Try leaving the light in their tank on while they are guarding the eggs. :wink:

Hmm, maybe I should move them to a breeder tank then, they're in a heavily planted tank. I tried to avoid setting another tank up (already have too many). I thought that may have been the problem though.

I'm on my 3rd batch of free swimmers with this pair. Each spawn gets progressively larger. The problem is, they spawn weekly and as soon as the fry hatch, they eat the previous spawn.

I'm going to give this pair a few more weeks to start raising the fry on their own. If it doesn't happen, I'll remove the female and let the male raise them on his own.

can we get any more pics of the older siblings? I love discus, just dont have the space or money for their tank.

n/m... someone just said the older fry were being eaten :(

BrianNY said:
I'm on my 3rd batch of free swimmers with this pair. Each spawn gets progressively larger. The problem is, they spawn weekly and as soon as the fry hatch, they eat the previous spawn.

I'm going to give this pair a few more weeks to start raising the fry on their own. If it doesn't happen, I'll remove the female and let the male raise them on his own.

Hi, Brian! Sounds like you've got a confused pair of discus parents there. :wink:
Is it normal for them to continue spawning while they are already tending to a brood of fry? I wonder why they are eating their older brood - they must perceive them as a threat to the hatchlings?
I hope you figure this out.

I'm pretty much on top of it QTOFFER. It takes most discus a while to get things right. You're exactly right. They perceive the older spawn as a threat to the new. I'm reluctant to remove the female because if I do, she'll probably never raise a brood on her own.

But I am encouraged with each hatching being larger. I think the reason they;ve been spawning so frequently is the size of the hatch. This one looks to be over 50, maybe that's enough to keep them occupied and prevent another spawning. I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve (like raising the conductivity which inhibits spawning).

Back
Top Bottom