Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Will guppies overpopulate my tank???

I have a 215L planted tank that has neons, glowlights, rummnoses, congo tetras, platies, mollies and 3 bottom feeders. I have one male guppy, and am looking at buying this incredibly cool male guppy, but the only thing is if I buy him i have to also buy his female breeding partner. If I got 3 more females (so I would have 2 males, and 4 females) then would my tank be rapidly overpopulated by guppies? Or would the other fish eat them? I wouldn't mind getting a few fry every now and then, just as long as there's not loads of them. What do you think?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Over time yes but with all those fish in there most of the fry would be eaten. But every now and then a few would make it then you have that many more and over time you will have to many. Guppies will alway over populate a tank in time unless you take matters into your own hands. But if you let nature take its course you should be fine for a while.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

With plattys,mollies and guppys, all of which are livebearers and breed like rabbits, ultimately your tank may become overpopulated. But you seem to have a lot of hungry mouths in the tank, so the population may keep itself in check. Here's an idea, you can sell the fry. It will help with population control and you can get some on the side.

Tags
ate, guppie, guppies, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com