will my zebra danios breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legit Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 10 gallon tank withe 5 zebra danios and 3 mollies. i was wondering if the danios will still breed even though there are other fish in the tank. i have lots of java moss and green water wisteria.

They may breed, but you may not see any fry. They are egg scatterers, and will eat their own eggs and their own fry. The mollies would also eat the eggs and fry. So chances of seeing fry are not very high, unfortunately.

ok thats fine with me but i just wanted to know. when i mean java moss i mean like half of the tank is covered to the top!!! i know they will lay their eggs on the moss am i right? if so i will try to save the eggs or fry if they hatch. but do u or anyone have tips aboutt breeding them?

If you really want fry, best to feed the adults live or frozen foods for a few weeks. Frozen Brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, all work.

Once you see signs that females are full of eggs, if you can, wait for a day it is going to rain. If it does not, oh well, can't be helped. But you do a big water change, very very early in the morning with water about ten degrees cooler than their tank, at least 60% of the tank water gets changed.

With any luck they will spawn later that day. It is not a certain thing, though. It can help to put a male/female in another tank to try this, with pebbles, marbles, or lots of moss on the bottom. If you do you can remove the fish afterward and have a better chance of getting live fry.

i am getting a finnex hob breeding box of 1 1/2 gallon would that be good enough or should i get a bigger box?

Danios are fast swimmers. They like room to swim. I am not sure they will spawn in such a small container, though it would be just fine to keep the fry in after they hatch.

Most use a ten gallon tank for spawning, with pebbles or marbles on the bottom, to prevent the parents finding many eggs to eat, and remove the adults after they spawn. Once the fry hatch, you can gather them up and place in the HOB container.

I too am interested in this although I have a highly stocked community tank.. My female is loaded with eggs and was also wondering if I could put them in a breeding box together after conditioning to try and make them spawn. They always lay eggs after a water change but never fertilized ... I would also like to know a way I can get them to spawn preferably without having to get a different tank or just so the male actually fertilizes the eggs

They may breed, but you may not see any fry. They are egg scatterers, and will eat their own eggs and their own fry. The mollies would also eat the eggs and fry. So chances of seeing fry are not very high, unfortunately.

I had the same issues. Had to learn the hard way.:(

i have a 10 gallon tank withe 5 zebra danios and 3 mollies. i was wondering if the danios will still breed even though there are other fish in the tank. i have lots of java moss and green water wisteria.

Hopefully not. Hopefully the mollies won't either. It wouldn't take a lot to crash a tank that size with that stock breeding.

Back
Top Bottom