Will tiger barbs drop eggs in a community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xannykins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 tiger barbs in a community tank, two are definitely female.. they are easily larger, less colour on top fin noticeably duller nose than the male... One is definitely a male but is missing an eye, and the last one is questionable. The two large females look huge but they wont release any eggs. I moved one of them and the male into another tank but nothing happened so I moved them back. I want to know if they will spawn in a community tank at all or do I have to move them? I feel bad because they are huge. I feed them peas every now and then and it makes no difference so I am fairly sure it is eggs.

Attachments

• DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 88
I have 4 tiger barbs in a community tank, two are definitely female.. they are easily larger, less colour on top fin noticeably duller nose than the male... One is definitely a male but is missing an eye, and the last one is questionable. The two large females look huge but they wont release any eggs. I moved one of them and the male into another tank but nothing happened so I moved them back. I want to know if they will spawn in a community tank at all or do I have to move them? I feel bad because they are huge. I feed them peas every now and then and it makes no difference so I am fairly sure it is eggs.

If spawning conditions are correct in the tank and the fish are conditioned, the fish will spawn. HOWEVER, since these are egg scattering fish, the chances of the eggs hatching and the fry surviving in a community tank are small. Female egglayers can hold eggs for an entire lifetime and not spawn so you shouldn't be concerned about their size caused by the eggs. As long as it's not bloat, you should be fine ;)

If you do want to purposely have them spawn, PM me and I can give you my formula for breeding them (y)

If spawning conditions are correct in the tank and the fish are conditioned, the fish will spawn. HOWEVER, since these are egg scattering fish, the chances of the eggs hatching and the fry surviving in a community tank are small. Female egglayers can hold eggs for an entire lifetime and not spawn so you shouldn't be concerned about their size caused by the eggs. As long as it's not bloat, you should be fine ;)

If you do want to purposely have them spawn, PM me and I can give you my formula for breeding them (y)

(y)already saw your diagram.. im keeping that in mind but I currently have platy fry in my other tank so I wont be able to try with the tiger barbs again until my fry are old enough to go into the main tank. I do have a third smaller tank but not a third heater and no lid on it so I don't think its a good idea to put them in that one

Back
Top Bottom