Worry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
My bristlenose spawned for the first time and the eggs hatched 10 days ago. The fry already ate their egg sacks and have gained their color already. The male has left the cave, but only for very breif increments at breeding time. As far as I know, NO escapees! Should I worry? They are 10 days old and still in the cave? Will they starve? Another female entered the cave today, but when I checked back later, she hadn't layed any eggs. What do I do? Please help!!

get some frozen baby brine shrimp and shoot it in the cave or put a couple algea waffers in there.

I put part of a wafer in front of the cave at feeding time. No success. And I can't find BBS frozen or anywhere in stores. I feed bloodworms to the fish in that tank daily however. And I do have frozen adult brine shrimp I think. Would they like that?

They're probably venturing out in the dead of night to eat. Have you got something with a good coating of algae on it? Otherwise your lfs might have a plant or piece of wood that's been sitting in a tank growing a nice crop of algae. That's pretty much all my fry are interested in at that age.

They're probably venturing out in the dead of night to eat. Have you got something with a good coating of algae on it? Otherwise your lfs might have a plant or piece of wood that's been sitting in a tank growing a nice crop of algae. That's pretty much all my fry are interested in at that age.

There's driftwood in there but it's not very old. And some plants, they aren't doing so hot right now. I feed some amazing wafers though! And earthworm sticks.

There's driftwood in there but it's not very old. And some plants, they aren't doing so hot right now. I feed some amazing wafers though! And earthworm sticks.

Are you keeping the water super clean? They are extremely sensitive to water quality as fry, and that can make them seem listless.

The tank is pretty clean. UPDATE: There seems to be fewer fry in the cave, but I can't find them in the tank or HOB filter. I checked the cave yesterday and noticed my other (larger) female had entered. Last night she had left, but there was no change in the cave other than that. Well today when I got home, I looked inside the cave and there is a new, bigger batch of eggs! Same Dad! Do I worry about him? They 11 day old fry are still in the cave. As I type this I did find one fry on the side glass, but other than that, I can't locate any others. What to do?!?! What to do...

well ill tell u what i do . when the eggs look like they have little black dots in them i pull them out and put them in a 10 gallon tank with the same water that they were laid in. put a sponge filter and heater at 78-80 no light for 3 days . they will hatch and feed them finely crushed flake food and crushed algae wafers. finely crushed green beans work good also. theres no need for gravel use just a bear bottom tank

This is more an experimentation with those fry, and I now have two batches of fry in the gave. The original batch comes and goes on occasion but there is always a few in there, and they always come back at night. The second batch is hatching now. They will probably all be hatched by tomorrow afternoon when I feed them. We will see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom