Would these Angels spawn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so pretty much everything differs From spawn to spawn. Also I'm totally ok with culling I am going to cull the deformed ones. I'm used to ( but still sad when it happens ) creatures passing away I own lots of animals.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Another question. They've been cleaning the filter intake almost all day when will they lay eggs?

They will lay when they are ready and not a moment sooner. ;) Just be patient. The more you intrude, the more hesitant they may become about spawning. Sometimes, they clean an area for a day then spawn the next. I've had them also clean for days then spawn. I've also had them not have their tubes showing and 10 minutes after a water change, tubes fully exposed and laying eggs. You really don;t control what happens other than offering a quality environment. The rest is up to the fish. (y)

Well they're spawning right now!!

Ok a few questions
1. The female will swim away from the spawning sight so I haven't fed or turned off their light is that ok?
2. Any other tips? I know this time the eggs probably won't hatch because this is the first time the female has spawned with a male and they are in a tank with a HOB filter but who knows they paired off fast maybe they'll get free swimmers and I could rescue a few.

They might. Next time if they spawn on the heater, turn it off as they start just to be safe. Or make that pvc cover. Best of luck, tell us if you get fry!

I keep everything as normal. The fish need to sleep so turn off the light at your regular time. If they are finished spawning and into the fanning stage, I would also feed them.
As for saving the fry, you would be best to remove the eggs and hatch them out while they are still unhatched. Wigglers and free swimming fry are much much harder to move. The eggs will stay on the site and as long as the water is clean and as close as possible to the parameters they were laid in, you should be fine. I've hatched out eggs in jars as small as 1/2 gal so pretty much anything you have that will cover the eggs is okay to use. Don't worry about turning the site upside down to fit the amount of water in the container. The eggs don;t care which side is up. Use an airstone ( you can see a diagram of a hatching bottle in my instructional charts album in my profile) and keep the temp warm ( 78-80 degrees) with either a heater or if necessary, put the container you are hatching in back into the breeder tank so that the top is still above the water line. A little methylene blue or other anti fungal and then you wait.
Being a first time spawner does not necessarily mean the fry will die. I've had first timers have very successful first spawns. The main issue, as I see it, is that HOB. If you intend on having the parents raise the fry, you should really get rid of that and use a sponge filter instead. Young Angel fry are not strong enough swimmers to avoid a HOB's suction, especially in a smaller tank.
Welcome to the breeder's club. ;) :D (y)

Yeah I know I need to get a sponge filter but I can't drive yet so my parents have to take me and the last time I went to my lfs they didn't even know what a sponge filter was ?

Ok I got a sponge filter it wasn't the hydro one but it will be here either Tuesday or Wednesday. The female angel is being a very good mother but the male well he just kinda wondered off. I don't even know if he fertilized all the eggs he just stopped half way through spawning but it was his first time so maybe he'll be better next time. The female has actually laid eggs before. Here's a picture of her last spawn
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425215080.548445.jpg
She didn't lay very many this time but here's a picture of the eggs
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425215128.179414.jpg
Anyway I'm hoping I can get the sponge filter going soon enough to save the eggs.

Oh also how long until they become wigglers? Is there an average time? Or is it like everything else where it just depends on the Angels? Thanks for all the help so far!

Ok question about food. I know baby brine shrimp ( bbs ) are the best to feed the fry but i found some other stuff that is called New Life International Spectrum Small Fry Starter Formula and I've read that a lot of people use Hikari First Bites but then I've also read that it's meant for livebearers. I was thinking about getting the fry formula and Hikari first bites then maybe getting the bbs later does that sound good?

at 78-80 degrees, eggs hatch in about 72 hours. Colder water will delay the hatch, warmer water will speed it up. This time, it's the temp that controls the hatching time and not the other things involved in the spawn. lol
I'm a huge believer in newly hatched brine shrimp as a first food. I have many issues with powdered or "starter" foods and find that my fry won;t eat them until they are at least a week or 2 old. That even applies to decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. I feel it's the movement of the food that encourages the fry to feed. I know some use frozen baby brine instead of live with success, again, I prefer live. They are not difficult to hatch out and the hatcheries for them can be as simple as a you want to make them. (You can see mine in my albums.) And if you are raising the fry in that breeder tank, you also want live so that the food doesn't get lost in the gravel. ( Another reason why pro breeders use bare tanks. The food can't hide from the fry. ;) ) So if it is easy to hatch, not expensive to set up and the best food to feed, why not feed it to them? ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

So far I've only had 1 white egg ? the female hadn't taken it off (they do eat the infertile eggs right?) so I just popped it off and it got sucked up by the filter.

So far I've only had 1 white egg ? the female hadn't taken it off (they do eat the infertile eggs right?) so I just popped it off and it got sucked up by the filter.

You'd be best to leave things to the fish. They will usually clean off the dead eggs when they feel it is right. If they don;t, their fanning the eggs and cleaning them will prevent anything from getting on to the good eggs so no need for you to step in. (y)

Ok thanks! I won't remove anymore eggs.

So it's almost been 24 hours since they spawned and I've only had 1 infertile egg!! So that means that I have a male/female pair, right? They were about halfway through laying all the eggs at 6:56 last night.

I understand Clove oil to be instant so that's how I would go. You might need to do some local research as to where you can get it.

Yes clove oil culls pretty much the fastest. But I did have a convict baby that survived the clove oil dip for 5 mins! Kept the little guy for 6 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom