Wow I got 15 Platy babies now wahat!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok...
One of my Platies has had babies today. She had been in a breeding tank for three days. I took her out last night and noon today she starts popping little ones out into the main tank. I wan't home, but my wife captured her and put her back into the the breeding tank. She was birthing them one at a time which made them easy targets for mom and some become protien snacks some I sucked up with a turkey baster, and others made their way to safety on there own. It was all very very cool, but now I have 15 new fish to take care of.

All I have for tanks is a 16 gallon show tank and a 6 gallon Eclipse that I use as a QT that currently has a Guppy under observation. I dont have the money for the set up I want so we are going to make to best of it with an 10 gallon nursery tank. I should be able to cycle it quickly with seed gravel from the other tanks. What else do I need to do? What do they eat? how fast do they grow? I was planning to let nature take its course and let them be born into the main tank, but when the Mrs. found out a few days back that that was the plan it didn't fly, and now I have babies I dont know how to take care of. Help!!

For food I usually have a little pack of Hikari first bites on hand. It's basically like a powder. Mine love it. You may be able to just use crushed tropical pellets, though. I'm not sure on that. The little pack I have seems to last a long time, though. I have a baby tank right now and some of my babies are a few weeks old and are getting to be a decent size so I usually start using flakes as long as they're small, and I presoak them. Generally I know they're ready cause they start chasing the algae wafer I throw in for my snails. :cool:

I supplement with baby brine shrimp, cause they're just the right size for them.

One thing I always do, though, is make sure to use something to kind of "filter" the intake valve.. otherwise the babies may get pulled in to the current. I use some media foam I cut in half and put a hole in, though a lot of people seem to use pantyhose.

In no time they'll be filling in their color and be quite pretty. Is there a local store that buys fish? Just in case you get overwhelmed when they're grown.

Good luck. (y)

ok...
One of my Platies has had babies today. She had been in a breeding tank for three days. I took her out last night and noon today she starts popping little ones out into the main tank. I wan't home, but my wife captured her and put her back into the the breeding tank. She was birthing them one at a time which made them easy targets for mom and some become protien snacks some I sucked up with a turkey baster, and others made their way to safety on there own. It was all very very cool, but now I have 15 new fish to take care of.

All I have for tanks is a 16 gallon show tank and a 6 gallon Eclipse that I use as a QT that currently has a Guppy under observation. I dont have the money for the set up I want so we are going to make to best of it with an 10 gallon nursery tank. I should be able to cycle it quickly with seed gravel from the other tanks. What else do I need to do? What do they eat? how fast do they grow? I was planning to let nature take its course and let them be born into the main tank, but when the Mrs. found out a few days back that that was the plan it didn't fly, and now I have babies I dont know how to take care of. Help!!

I currently have 9 platy fry in a little tank of their own, they are a few eeks old now and I have only lost 2 through the process, what happened when I got mine was I saw a baby platy so gather the 3 fat females and popped them in breeding traps over night woke up and there was some fry, was pretty cool,

You already thinking down the right lines, getting gravel from original tanks, if possible take as much water as you can from the main tank as the water is already cycled, also for a filter I didn't use a fower one until they were big enough and even now I use an elite mini, The best thing is a sponge filter, dead easy to make, just put in DIY sponge filter on youtube or google and you will have plenty to choose from,
As for food I have some great stuff liquifry its basically liquid food and is great for the first 2 weeks, I then just crumbled up flake and like I said I have only lost 2. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom