wow neon tetra fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bumblebee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i didnt not even consider it a possibility that my neons would produce fry that lived

but doing my water change to day there was one just swimming around all happy....however due to the fact i was not prepared hes more than likely eaten by my other fish by now :ermm:

doing some research they take about 3 to 4 days to become swimming?

is there a high chance this could happen again and what should i look out for as not alot of information is out there

Oh. No idea but curious since I have a school in my planted tank.

Nice! You should check around in the tank and see if you can find any more and put them in a breeder net before they get eaten too.!

Neon tetra fry are rare! Well done! I'll see if I can gather some info, in the meantime you could pm andy sager.

i didnt not even consider it a possibility that my neons would produce fry that lived

but doing my water change to day there was one just swimming around all happy....however due to the fact i was not prepared hes more than likely eaten by my other fish by now :ermm:

doing some research they take about 3 to 4 days to become swimming?

is there a high chance this could happen again and what should i look out for as not alot of information is out there

Sure, it could happen again. If the same, right conditions occur in the tank again, there's no reason why they wouldn't spawn again. HOWEVER, if you are trying to get a spawn that you can raise up for sure, you should breed the fish diliberately in a separate tank so that you can control the conditions for the fry to survive. Otherwise, it will always be a "pot luck" as to whether you get any fry to survive.

Hope this helps (y)

oh defiantly did not try this on purpose...but would try my hardest to keep them alive if i did...thank you for your answer...however no my sightings since

Good read. So, do you think dimmer lighting is important?

Yes. Tetra eggs are very sensitive to the light so it's most highly recommended to breed them in very low lite. I used to breed mine in a row that got only indirect light from outside. No overhead light. They usually spawned around day break. The natural lighting cycle played a part in it I truly believe. As long as you have a known male and female, you should try to breed them on purpose. You'll be doing what most only dream about ;)

Yes. Tetra eggs are very sensitive to the light so it's most highly recommended to breed them in very low lite. I used to breed mine in a row that got only indirect light from outside. No overhead light. They usually spawned around day break. The natural lighting cycle played a part in it I truly believe. As long as you have a known male and female, you should try to breed them on purpose. You'll be doing what most only dream about ;)

So if I leave the tank lights off for a few days won't my plants suffer? And im not sure what my m/f ratio is, or if I even have one.

You had to have had at least one male and one female or else there would have not been a fry. ;)
As for the light, you need to use plants that require low light and are densely bushy. You don't want to leave the lights off, you want them to have very low intensity and indirect lighting. How else would the fish know it was getting on to daybreak so time to spawn?

Back
Top Bottom