Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
Danios that are full grown are not too hard to sex. Females are larger, rounder in the belly, generally fuller looking, even if not full of eggs. Males are much more slender, torpedo shape, no round belly. Colour does not vary much, if at all, between sexes.
Oh I'll have to have a look later then, thanks. Don't think I've seen any that could be males but haven't looked that closely and I guess whoever told me about the colour was wrong then thanks for clearing that up

Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they all look the same, you may only have one sex. It happens, the younger ones are harder to sort out, though even half grown, if you see a bunch of them, the boys are always more slender looking and have a straighter underline than the girls do.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
If they all look the same, you may only have one sex. It happens, the younger ones are harder to sort out, though even half grown, if you see a bunch of them, the boys are always more slender looking and have a straighter underline than the girls do.
I've had them around 2-3months now and were a fair size when bought so should be almost if not already adults so ill definitely check later on

I have a 25L tall hex would that be ok for them to breed in? Only thing is I'm not sure if my filters move the water in the bottom around so as not to cause a dead spot, is there a way I can check? Would food colouring be harmful to fish/BB/filters so I can see how the water flows
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you seeing issues that might suggest dead spots ? Best way to handle them is add a small internal pump, I like Koralia nano pumps myself. Use them to give my fan shrimp a good current to feed in. Can aim them in any direction, bounce the flow off a tank side and down, whatever you like. Food colour probably would not hurt but stirring up the substrate a bit would do the same basic thing.

Best breeding situation for them is a longer, shallower tank, with either a good mass of mosses or a layer of marbles on the bottom. Stops them eating many of the eggs, gives fry a place to hide when first hatched. But they can breed almost anywhere. Survival of fry is much higher if they are not with the parents until they get big enough not to be snacks.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Are you seeing issues that might suggest dead spots ? Best way to handle them is add a small internal pump, I like Koralia nano pumps myself. Use them to give my fan shrimp a good current to feed in. Can aim them in any direction, bounce the flow off a tank side and down, whatever you like. Food colour probably would not hurt but stirring up the substrate a bit would do the same basic thing. Best breeding situation for them is a longer, shallower tank, with either a good mass of mosses or a layer of marbles on the bottom. Stops them eating many of the eggs, gives fry a place to hide when first hatched. But they can breed almost anywhere. Survival of fry is much higher if they are not with the parents until they get big enough not to be snacks.
Well I'm not sure if there are or not but my filters are all HOB filters and wasn't sure if the current was making it down into the bottom as its a tall tank, I might just be paranoid but don't want the eggs to be sat in a dead spot under the marbles, I guess I could swap some fish around to get a long tank to breed in rather than a tall one but would rather not disturb any other fish
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe wait and see a bit. Eggs hatch quite soon, a day or two later I believe. I have yet to see any fry, I don't try to save them if there are any, but I have seen them spawning on the tank bottom, so I know they lay eggs now and then at least. Circulation is not an issue thanks to the pump for the shrimp. Wish you luck !
Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Maybe wait and see a bit. Eggs hatch quite soon, a day or two later I believe. I have yet to see any fry, I don't try to save them if there are any, but I have seen them spawning on the tank bottom, so I know they lay eggs now and then at least. Circulation is not an issue thanks to the pump for the shrimp. Wish you luck !
Yeah I'll have a look into an underwater filter tomorrow if I can pick up a cheap one other wise I'll have to try and make do with what I already have. Would putting a normal filter in work if I put it low in the tank or is there risk of it breaking?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could also just add an airstone to any dead spots, it will help turn them over.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
You could also just add an airstone to any dead spots, it will help turn them over.
Thanks for all the help I've put them in a separate tank but I'm still waiting for her to spawn, not sure how long it normally takes but I'm trying to be patient lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com