Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Zebra & leopard danio

Will they breed together? I have a female leopard and she's definitely carrying eggs but the only males I have are zebra, will they interbreed?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, they can breed with each other. Fry are said to be attractive but likely not fertile themselves, if you get any eggs hatching and fry surviving. They are egg scatterers that eat both their eggs and fry. A thick moss bed or layer of marbles is good, makes it harder for them to find the eggs once they are laid, and floating plants or moss are good hiding places for fry.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
Yes, they can breed with each other. Fry are said to be attractive but likely not fertile themselves, if you get any eggs hatching and fry surviving. They are egg scatterers that eat both their eggs and fry. A thick moss bed or layer of marbles is good, makes it harder for them to find the eggs once they are laid, and floating plants or moss are good hiding places for fry.
Oh right, is it worth moving the female and the male I want to breed into a separate tank? (They're in a community tank at the minute)
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you really want fry, you will likely get more in a separate tank, so you can remove the parents after they spawn. A big water change early in the morning with water ten degrees cooler can help to stimulate spawning.

Feeding live foods for a few weeks beforehand helps condition them to breed. Frozen is ok too, bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp, etc.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
If you really want fry, you will likely get more in a separate tank, so you can remove the parents after they spawn. A big water change early in the morning with water ten degrees cooler can help to stimulate spawning.

Feeding live foods for a few weeks beforehand helps condition them to breed. Frozen is ok too, bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp, etc.
Well she's already pretty swollen with eggs so is it too late to start feeding bloodworm? And wouldn't a water change so much cooler send them into shock?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, when they are in the wild, they spawn after the rains.. when the water is much fresher and can be a lot cooler. You are not changing all the water, only about 40%, and it won't shock them. They are cool water fish, not true tropical fish.

You can start feeding bloodworms now. If you miss this spawn, there will be another, they tend to keep it up once they start, and now he's mated that male will not be interested in other females, if there are any. Females are not faithful, but the males tend to be.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
No, when they are in the wild, they spawn after the rains.. when the water is much fresher and can be a lot cooler. You are not changing all the water, only about 40%, and it won't shock them. They are cool water fish, not true tropical fish.

You can start feeding bloodworms now. If you miss this spawn, there will be another, they tend to keep it up once they start, and now he's mated that male will not be interested in other females, if there are any. Females are not faithful, but the males tend to be.
Well as far as I'm aware they haven't paired or he hasn't shown much interest (that I've seen) but I'd like him to be the father as he's a long finned zebra and such great colours so figured it could produce some nice offspring
Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. If he has only this female though, he will probably breed with her. Leopards are quite pretty with the long fins, for sure. You won't get all long fins, you'll get a percentage, even if both parents have long fins, some fry will be short fins, though they carry the gene for long fins.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. If he has only this female though, he will probably breed with her. Leopards are quite pretty with the long fins, for sure. You won't get all long fins, you'll get a percentage, even if both parents have long fins, some fry will be short fins, though they carry the gene for long fins.
im not sure on the sex of the rest of the danios to be quite honest im not sure on how to sex them, the only fish i can sex is live bearers to be honest lol. someone told me that the females arent as bright as the males but thats not always easy to see.

I'd lov a mixture of both as im sure each one will look different. thats what im looking forward to most with my guppy fry who are just starting to get colours now
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Danios that are full grown are not too hard to sex. Females are larger, rounder in the belly, generally fuller looking, even if not full of eggs.
Males are much more slender, torpedo shape, no round belly. Colour does not vary much, if at all, between sexes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com