Zebra Danio breeding behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pachuco2k

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's up? I was wondering if anyone knew what Zebra Danios mating, or attempting to mate looks like. I have 4 zebras, 1 male and 3 females. For the last couple of days at least my male zebra seems to be trying to attach himself to the side of a close by female. As they swim around it looks like they are rapidly swimming in place in a tight circle while almost attached to each other side-by-side. Is that Zebra mating? I know they are promiscuous fish but I just want to make sure this is a behavior I shouldn't be concerned about.

Yup, sounds like they are "getting it on" :wink:. That's how my danios bahave all the time, and I have a constant supply of danio fry, just haven't been able to keep them alive for more than a few days yet.

Right on, thanks for the info. What do Zebra fry look like? About 2 weeks into my tank I saw this think that looked like an eyelash floating around in my tank. I was about to fish it out when I saw that it was actually moving on its own. It then proceeded to get gobbled up by the largest Zebra in the tank. Is that what a zebra fry would look like -- a floating eyelash?

Yep! sounds about like what they do....though I have not had any fry yet that I have ever seen! I have alot of fish so they may have gotten eaten too.

i guess its good to know then that my male danio isn't shooting blanks. Maybe I'll try breeding them after I finish stocking my tank.

pachuco2k said:
i guess its good to know then that my male danio isn't shooting blanks. Maybe I'll try breeding them after I finish stocking my tank.

:lol: I don't know where they get their energy, but my male danio is always on the go :lol:.

Apparently it takes about 2 days for the fry to "hatch" from the eggs, and after that they are about 4mm long, nearly transparent, with 2 little black specks for eyes. For the next few days they hang on to the plants, gravel, and sides of the tank. After that they become free swimming, and I supposed that's when my fry finally meet their end, when the grown-ups find and eat them :cry:.

Back
Top Bottom