Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

zebra danio pregnant?

Just bought a female zebra danio and two males. Her belly is about the soze of a green pea. How long til she will have her fry? I cannot see any dark spot on her belly like guppies get. I couldn't get any good photos

Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been breeding Danios. They lay eggs almost daily usually in the morning when you turn on the lights. They eat the eggs as soon as they lay them. There's all kinds of info out there about breeding because they're popular in labs. I've found that when I do a water change and vacuum the gravel I'll find some fry in there. I slowly pour most of the water out till there is a about a cup left, and I pour that and the rest of the sediment into a glass. A couple of days later I use an eye dropper to suck them out and move them to my 5 gallon grow out tank.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyfou View Post
I've been breeding Danios. They lay eggs almost daily usually in the morning when you turn on the lights. They eat the eggs as soon as they lay them. There's all kinds of info out there about breeding because they're popular in labs. I've found that when I do a water change and vacuum the gravel I'll find some fry in there. I slowly pour most of the water out till there is a about a cup left, and I pour that and the rest of the sediment into a glass. A couple of days later I use an eye dropper to suck them out and move them to my 5 gallon grow out tank.

I have her in your standard fry breeder. She's in a tank with a severum, other danios, thirty cory cats and two high fins. So she can't really aafely lay in the tank. There is a grate that the eggs are meant to fall through as she has them. Will that work?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

She'll need a male in there to fertilize the eggs after she lays them. Interesting note, danios pair up for life. When she's in the community tank does she seem to have a boyfriend? I had trouble getting the hang on isolation tank plan to work, but I didn't try it long. The conventional way to do this is to put breeding pairs in a small separate tank with marbles on the bottom. Leave them there for 24 hours and then put them back in the regular tank. The marbles keep them from eating the eggs. Mine seem to spawn more when I feed them blood worms.

Again, check the water you pull during your water change. You might get a surprise and find you been dumping fry down the drain.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is the fry I got from a two gallon water change by just putting the stuff in the bottom of the bucket into a glass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131107_153052.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	206568
Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'v heard you can use loose nests of yarn as and eggs catcher. Believe it also makes egg transfer easier because you just move the yarn but don't hold me to that. I only saw a fish room vid on youtube and the breeder was talking about it. never used it myself.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yarn and plants are for adhesive eggs. Danios are loose. That why I can pull them in a water change.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com