Zebra Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelleMorte1986

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a zebra nerite snail in my freshwater tank. Im guessing it was favorable conditions for breeding because I all of a sudden have baby snails in my tank....I only have one snail though so does that mean zebra snails are hermaprodites?? Thats the only conclusion I can come to considering I only have one snail. Although I did recently (about a month to a month and half ago) I added a freshwater plant to my tank, and then about 2-3 weeks ago I added another freshwater plant to my tank. The first plant came from a tank with no snails in it, but the second one came from a tank that had snails, but one side of the tank had assassin snails. I have looked up pictures of baby zebra snails and the snails resemble the pictures, but is it possible that the plant had snail eggs on it before I brought it home?? Also,is it possible that it could have had assassin snail eggs as well?? One of the baby snails I saw didnt look like the rest and it was bigger than the other babies....sorry about all the questions, but I need help, I am new to snails....:thanks:

Nerite snails lay eggs, and the eggs only develop in brackish water. They need full on salt water to actually grow into snails. Your baby snails aren't nerites.

Snail eggs are the quintessential plant stowaways. Do you have any pictures of the little ones?

Its strange, my water is not brackish at all, all of sudden I just had little baby snails crawling around my tank. The camera on my phone is junk and I cant get a clear picture of them, but they are tiny little snails with tiny little shells. I understand what you are saying but my tank is a freshwater tank and unless the treatment I did a couple of months ago added salt to the water...One of them is about as big as my pinky nail. I will try to get a picture on my Moms phone the next time she comes over and i will copy it to my computer and upload it. I need help because I dont even know if there is a special way to take care of the babies or if it would just be better for me to take them to my local aquarium store. The picture I included is one I found on bing, but the babies in my tank look exactly like this one, its the one with the hand holding a baby snail
search

Last edited:
The Zebra Nerite is not the parent of that little baby in the picture. As mentioned they do not develop in FW only brakish. If the Nerite is a female she may deposite individual eggs, little ovid shaped eggs looks like a white sesame seed. You can remove them if it is in a place you do not want them laid.

Or maybe I should be wondering where Petco got the snails they are calling Zebra snails from....

Back
Top Bottom