Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1

Can we get +1 buttons throughout the forum so we can publicly +1 everything we enjoy?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

No offense but how hard is typing +1 prior to your comments?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

None taken... It would actually be a link back to Google's new Social Networking site, Google+. It would work much in the same way that "like" does for Facebook... speaking of which we need one of those too. This will basically just let everyone in my circles see what i have +1'd and they can also peruse the link as well.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How is +1 a link to Google?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you see this button around on various links or sites then it functions the same way a "Like" button does. only it goes back to this site http://plus.google.com This is google's challenge to Facebook. Right now it's in its beta stages and closed (if you can call 18 million users closed) at least you can only get in by invite only. If you have ever "Liked" anything then you can just apply the same concept only for google it's +1.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp +1.bmp (1.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which is exactly why I don't use "like" on FB. If I belong to a forum, it's because I want to belong to just that forum. I'd be really uncomfortable if I knew that using a certain phrase or button here would toss my comments out to some other site automatically (and yes, I do know that nothing on the web is private).
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

As you stated, Nothing on the web is private. Anything you have typed in here is already public. But I would like the ability to share things like the fishless cycling guide with my friends so that any of them that have or are thinking about getting an aquarium can find this site through me. Or even when someone gives an exceptional piece of advice, or a golden nugget of wisdom. I would expect any member of a forum I am a member of not to write replies or start conversations that they didn't want anyone else to see. Forums like this are here for the sole purpose of sharing information and finding those people across the globe that have something in common with you. If a "like" or a "+1" will bring someone who needs this site here and save them the time, trouble, and money of doing things the wrong way, then it's worth it. If it saves the lives of fish that men, women, and children quickly grow to love and appreciate, then it's worth it. This is just my opinion but I have become strongly attached to the remaining fish I have. I hope that I can help spare people all the trouble I went through. People usually don't ask for advice before they need it, only when it's too late. And a "like" or a "+1" is a much more effective way of drawing attention to the site than spamming the link wherever someone sees fit.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

I think it's a cool idea as long as it doesn't bump the thread, it's really annoying checking on a thread update just to see a "+1" reply.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

We have a thanks button that is better. The person that you are thanking will get a PM telling him that he is being thanked for giving great info. It`s a great way to let people that give out good info know that it was appreciated.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I think it's a cool idea as long as it doesn't bump the thread, it's really annoying checking on a thread update just to see a "+1" reply.
It wouldn't bump the thread... it would just post a link to your google+ stream or your facebook page.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com