10gallon 4 fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harry mango

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, newbie here! I recently bought me a ten gallon tank and have four fish. A rainbow fish, 2 guppies and a molly I was wondering, can I add one more fish?

Sent from my KFTT using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello and welcome!

You should probably actually look into moving fish out of you tank, no into it. Rainbowfish get too large for 10 gallon tanks and need to be kept in schools, and mollies just get too large for 10 gallon tanks. That would leave you with the 2 guppies and you could add a 3rd guppy but not much else! A 10 gallon really is a very small tank.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to a 30 gallon tank and add a bunch more ranbowfish and then you'd be in pretty good shape :)

I was afraid someone would tell me that. But no worries I'm in the market looking for a bigger one. What you said about the rainbow fish, I just realized he looks kinda lonely. The guppies always chase each other around. While he just swims so calmly. If I were to get a 30 gallon. How many fish can I add?

Alternatively, you could upgrade to a 30 gallon tank and add a bunch more ranbowfish and then you'd be in pretty good shape :)

IMO unless it's a threadfin Rainbowfish then it needs a 55g. Rainbows are very, very, active swimmers and many species get 6 inches once adults. They look crammed even in a 30g and yes IMO again need schools of 6+ or with other species of rainbows as they will coexist together.

The guppies are fine in a 10g and I may take heat for this but I believe the Molly would be as well as long as no more fish are added and water changes are weekly.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What about neon dwarfs? Those stay much smaller too. Really it's hard to say without knowing the specific kind of rainbowfish.

They kinda look transparent. From the gills down. When I bought it at petsmart it said it grows to 3 inches.

I'll send a pic later since I'm at work at the moment.

My rainbow fish

Attachments

• 1430224866966.jpg
    1430224866966.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 84
My set up

Attachments

• 1430224926873.jpg
    1430224926873.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 83
Tetra 10g kit? I would stay away from the teteea heater. I've not had good experience with them. Out of 3, 2 do not hear up to the preset temp anymore, at 70f and 74f respectively. Preset is 78 :(

I Wasn't aware of that. Now you making me worry.

Well, both have been unplugged and stayed out of the water. I have bought 2 more 50w since then because they are ridiculously cheap.
Summer is around the corner, if you don't put AC, your tank would stay upper 73F easily, so you will have time to go and get another one. :)

I swear by Aqueon and Eheim heaters.

First of all, welcome to the forum and this rewarding hobby! :welcome:

I don't have any experience with rainbowfish so unfortunately I can't help much with that. I can confirm, though, that you definitely need a larger tank. Large chain store employees are notoriously uneducated about this hobby and often coax new hobbyists like you into making bad purchases.

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle in aquariums? If not I can explain it for you.

Please explain it.

Oh just to let you guys know I purchased a 50 gallon tank. So I'll be setting it up in a few days

Back
Top Bottom