AA main page...Trojan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm running Norton. I used AA this morning at 7 AM and had the error. I just used it at 11:50 and no error. BTW, mine is set at 30 minutes but it's clearly over 30 minutes.

Virus / Spyware at AA???

For the last couple weeks, I've been getting warnings about a virus or a trojan spyware when I log onto AA. This happens about half the time & always involve some file at the temp internet cache. Once I deleted the file, I can browse the forums without further problems, until the next time I sign on.

This had happened on both my computers, one running AVG & SpyCatcher, and the other F-Secure, so it is unlikely a quirk in the AV program. It is something related to the AA site, as I never had this when visiting other sites.

Also, the problem seemed to ahve started with me upgrading to IE7. Never had this before with IE6.

Is anyone having the same problem? I am thinking it might have something to do with the auto-logon system, or maybe one of the ads ....

Ideas?

I am still getting it, not only on the main page, but on the forum pages, too. My antivirus says it is blocking a downloader, and I get a message that remote data access is being attempted.

I hope this will be fixed soon. I miss coming here, but I worry about what my antivirus might NOT be catching.

Yeah I hope this gets fixed. I was out of town this past weekend and was using my parents' laptop for awhile to check some sites - this being one of them. Took me 3 hours to completely rid the trojan off that pc.

I am not really bothered with it at home because it is MY computer. However I think this needs to be addressed.

It is being addressed. Our Admin is working hard to try and find out where the problem is. Be patient. As he stated previously, if he makes one wrong change in the code and it could take down AA.

The one good thing about this entire problem is that the viruses all appear to be ones that have been around for awhile. As such, as long as your computer is up to date with the security patches, then your PC won't be affected by the viruses.

site spyware warning

Whenever I visit the main page, or any of the forum pages, of the Aquarium Advice web site I get a warning from my security software that a web site related to spyware has been detected. More specifically, Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 gives a warning that I have attempted to open a dangerous web site with the address beginning 'http://googlerank.info/counter' that falls under the category of spyware. I don't get this message visiting any other web sites. I did some Google and Yahoo searches and learned that it may be related to some hidden code that got inserted.

Hi,

Any news on getting this fixed.

I really love this site and this issue is totally stopping me from using the site at home as it kills my computer each time the page loads (i end up having to run to the router to disconnect the internet while my memory use rockets to over a 1.5 gigs!!).

I think i need to get a better anti virus programe as AVG seems to melt.

I wanna upload piccys... :(

John

HiJaC said:
Hi,

Any news on getting this fixed.

I really love this site and this issue is totally stopping me from using the site at home as it kills my computer each time the page loads (i end up having to run to the router to disconnect the internet while my memory use rockets to over a 1.5 gigs!!).

I think i need to get a better anti virus programe as AVG seems to melt.

I wanna upload piccys... :(

John

Hmm... strange. I haven't gotten any warnings at all for about 2 weeks. I assumed it *had* been fixed! I run Norton at home, and use AVG at work, and neither one has sniffed anything for quite a while. Glad I don't work on computers for a living!

I did a search using Yahoo! and came up with a possible solution. On forums using XOOPS they suggest you check the template cache folder (templates_c) and delete the files there. Then you copy the index.html file over from another folder into templates_c.

**Update** After purging through numerous bits of code, the Administrators believe the issue has been corrected as no further reports have been received. However, if you still get any of the previous warnings, please let us know.

Woot! Way to go Admins! I haven't seen any Virus Warnings in a couple of weeks, so hopefully this continues. Thanks for taking the time to ferret out the problem.

Unfortunately I still get the same warning about dangerous spyware as before. Nothing has changed as far as my security software is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom