Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #1

POTM Champion

Ads

Man, I just pulled up the AA site without being logged in. There are so many ads now. I don't like the idea of tons of ads being added to the site at the same time as the premium membership. Seems like AA is out for money now. I mean in ads inserted inside your posts. All I can say is, that's a ton of ads!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are a lot of ads, didn't notice that as I never log out...

Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

POTM Champion

I would like to request that my "supporter" status be removed. Not just the badge turned off. I don't want anyone to think I am supporting the new direction AA has gone in recently.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow you guys take this all too seriously. LOL There are ads everywhere for everything I don't really think it has to do with AA specifically. I have ads on my other apps too and I just ignore them.

I have the supporter status and I havent turned off ads. If they are relevant to the site then why not support them?

I use the actual website 99.9% of the time so I'm not sure if its an phone app thing.

But anyways, relax folks....this is the best site ever! ads or no ads. You all gotta agree on that dontcha?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm pretty relaxed, merely stating an observation in response to Mark.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #6

POTM Champion

I never said I was using the iOS app. I use the desktop version of the site most of the time. Maybe that's the solution, switch to using the iOS app. Of course they will probably start inserting ads there to. I don't see half the number of ads on a site that I visit regularly than I do here. Try logging out and coming in as a guest and click on a thread. You'll see a billion ads. I know I don't see these ads normally it's just the fact that guests have to deal with them. Not a good rep to have.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will say that for non-supporter/un-registered users AA has more ads than all the other forums I'm on. And that's on desktop, not any app.
Regardless of enjoying the site or not, that doesn't mean you enjoy tons of ads.
For the record, I think we're all relaxed.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #8

POTM Champion

Oh and before any tells me I can block them. Yes I know I can do that, I could also write my own stylesheet to remove them completely. I'm not going to intentionally click one of those ads anyway. So I may as well be able to turn them off without having to work at it. Again, it boils down to money.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #9

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenatron
For the record, I think we're all relaxed.
Yep, I feel pretty relaxed. You should see me when I get fired up.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Sliced Bread

I think it's important to note that up until now there wasn't a supporter program or any way for AA to generate revenue from it's members. Nor is the supporter system required.

It does, however, cost money to operate the site in terms of webhosting fees, technical staff, domain registrations, upgrades, etc etc, and ads are the way all forums (not just AA) generates revenue to pay for these things WITHOUT having to require users to pay annual dues or something.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com