Ads don't go away when logged in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Maybe I'm just slow in noticing something that happened long ago, but...

In the past, you only saw the GoogleAd at the top of the page if you weren't logged in. Now, it's still there even after logging in. Granted... it's a little smaller - but it's there offering me nitrate filters, cures to herpes, authentic electric heaters made by authentic Amish craftsmen, and anything else not even closely related to aquariums. But I digress.

Is this a new thing? Or has some setting been accidentally changed? If this is a new revenue-generating thing, then perhaps someone should change the graphic that tells unregistered folks to register so they can "get rid of these ads."

You need a good popup blocker. I don't see any other than 2 wedged between vendor spotlight and online buddies..

BTW: I think google ads serves up ad rotations based on tracking cookies on your computer.. Now what was that list again? :) Still fighting that thing eh....

Yeah... I run a pop-up blocker also. But it's not a popup... it's on the actual page. It's exactly what mfdrookie is showing in his screenshot - but mine is not quite as tall.

I know generally how GoogleAdwords works and you're right - part of the equation is your browsing history. But the funny thing is that I'll see those ads the first time I fire up the ol' browser and hit AA first thing as I make my rounds on the 'net. Cookies/temp files/cache are all cleared when the browser shuts down, so my slate is clean. And yeah... the "belly" ad is getting old too! Man... that thing is on ALL websites these days!

{Edit: Hey Ahab... if you're not seeing what mfdrookie is showing, I *bet* it's because of your "mentor" tag. I'll bet you're in a different user group that has been graced with the lack of ads. I bet mentors, mods, and admins all don't see what the rest of us common folk are seeing. Just a hunch.)

what kind of pop up blocker are you using captain? i just dont see how it would make a difference since its part of the page itself, not to mention i see it whether pop up blocker is on or off. i even see it on my iphone and blackberry

He probably needs the Blackberry so he can have a phone. (Sorry... couldn't resist!)

Ahab - are you blocking javascript? Or does your adblocker disable javascript? The ad itself isn't a popup - but if you're blocking javascript, then I can see where maybe it's not showing up for you.

{Edit: Aha! I just disabled javascript on my browser and voila... ads go away. But the original question stands as to whether or not this is intended - because I've always had javascript enabled on my browsers, but in the past when I was logged in I didn't see the ads.}

Yup. I had a mental bet with myself on how long it would take for the "gee... you must have a virus" answer came out. I won!

Well... regardless of how to get rid of the ads, its still something that has changed recently, right? And if so, then the statement of "Register to get rid of these ads" on the welcoming page is just a bunch of hooey, right? Or is this the slippery road to hitting the user base up for a contribution to get rid of the ads?

maybe they just want me to lose weight? seems like thats about the only one i ever see lol. Im just really tired of seeing the super fat, then the fat, then the average, then the anorexic woman up at the top of the screen all the time. glad you posted this, maybe they can figure out if somethings messed up somewhere

The ad at the top of the page displays when you are logged in. When not logged in however, there are more. If you disable Java just be aware that you won't be able to get in to the chat room :)

Back
Top Bottom