android update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that iphone/ipad and droids run on a different application server software (i.e. it's 2 different things, not a single server side app).

Either way, we apologize for the issues and assure you the app developers are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

I believe that iphone/ipad and droids run on a different application server software (i.e. it's 2 different things, not a single server side app).

Either way, we apologize for the issues and assure you the app developers are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

So, it's not the app, but the server that's down? If it's just the app update, a roll back (to 1.2.7) would bring AA back online with android users in a matter of minutes (sans DLing from the Market).

I agree. If this is an app issue and you are not rolling back to 1.2.7....angry folks indeed. Does anybody have a 1.2.7 .apk file that they could try out?

if it crapped out before the last update, its not going to be an apk problem, its going to be a server issue with connection to the host site ie this one.

if it crapped out before the last update, its not going to be an apk problem, its going to be a server issue with connection to the host site ie this one.

Actually the app worked for about 3 days with 1.2.14, then took a powder. The fact that the stable 1.2.7 wasn't reissued, means it's a server issue IMO. I've had a few apps rolled back because an update was bad, so it's not uncommon.

yeah it has to be server related. once an apk is released with whatever issues it has, its generally not going just quit connection and error out unless it cant connect. Most likely has to do with modifications that they are doing to this forum, and the possibility of the connection with the app because of the changes.. that's my guesstimate. I think once they finish doing the mods on the forum, that they can then update the server info to the apk and everything should be fine after that.

yeah it has to be server related. once an apk is released with whatever issues it has, its generally not going just quit connection and error out unless it cant connect. Most likely has to do with modifications that they are doing to this forum, and the possibility of the connection with the app because of the changes.. that's my guesstimate. I think once they finish doing the mods on the forum, that they can then update the server info to the apk and everything should be fine after that.

Good point, since they've been working on upgrading the site with the premium membership.

This experience really makes you appreciate seamless updates.

Wow, and I thought my iPhone using buddies complain a lot when something doesn't work right.
Come on guys use the browser version while this is worked out. If it is indeed a problem with the app the admins are at the mercy of forum runner. There's nothing they can do about it. Android has many fragmentation issues to overcome.

Wow, and I thought my iPhone using buddies complain a lot when something doesn't work right.
Come on guys use the browser version while this is worked out. If it is indeed a problem with the app the admins are at the mercy of forum runner. There's nothing they can do about it. Android has many fragmentation issues to overcome.

Some members can't use the browser on their phones, even my Epic 4G gets stuck on some of the frames in the website. You're right that the site is at the mercy of the devs, but that comes down to picking the right one in the first place.

I found AA from the app in the Market, not the website and I can only think of the sour rep/image AA is building from potential new users/members who might come across the app and not even be able to open it. They're not going to blame the dev (per se), but AA directly.

If it were a frag issue then some droid users could use it, while others can't and again that's a dev issue not the mother company/website/etc.

Folks - we have contacted the developer about the app issues and they will be fixed as soon as the developer responds. Please be patient. Remember while the FREE app is is convenient, there are other ways to access the forum.

I wish we could fix it but at this point we are in a holding pattern waiting for the developer.

Folks - we have contacted the developer about the app issues and they will be fixed as soon as the developer responds. Please be patient. Remember while the FREE app is is convenient, there are other ways to access the forum.

I wish we could fix it but at this point we are in a holding pattern waiting for the developer.

I think most droid app users understand it's not AA's fault. The app is one of 260 FREE apps I have on my phone so that's not really the issue for me, it's that the website isn't what I call "phone friendly" and there's no mobile web version (Hint ;) ).

As I was trying to point out though, AA's rep is being sullied by the devs. and given that android rules the wireless handset market, you're talking a lot of potential losses/negatives that take forever to clean up IME.

I'd suggest you contact Market and have them flag it with a notice of WIP or hide it until the problems are resolved, at least that way AA won't look so bad in the publics eye.

I know this is an android thread but wanted to throw this out there. The iDevices have no problem running the full site at all. Quite possibly not a problem with the site not being compatible, maybe a problem with the android browser not following standards.

I know this is an android thread but wanted to throw this out there. The iDevices have no problem running the full site at all. Quite possibly not a problem with the site not being compatible, maybe a problem with the android browser not following standards.

That's why the suggestion that it could be the physical server, since it worked for a couple 3 days on the latest update before the C&B.

Mr. Limpet - There is really nothing else to post about until we hear back from Janet/the developer. Everyone misses the app, we get it. I think that if it was just a simple roll back, that would have been done already. It is obviously something else that the developer needs to take a look at.

For now, use your phone's browser (if you can) or just use a PC, like you had to since the beginning of AA.

I think your ability to use the web browser depends on what version of android your phone runs. as long as you are on2.2 or better your browser should suffice until the application is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom