Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah, a fellow Texan, this can a really good thing or a really bad thing. Unfortunately there is no in between down here.

Welcome Andy :P

Old 12-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Guys, don't forget. Teaching people how to raise an aquarium and get satisfaction from doing so is what Aron and Kevin designed this forum for. So what if now we are going to be teaching the owner. He needs our help and he is no different to me than any other newbie to newly register on the forums. Think of it as a challenge.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
The problem was trying to be fixed. They spent countless hours trying to figure it out.
If you're talking about the trojan code... I don't believe fixing it was a priority. As I mentioned in a different place, I'm not an IT guy, but someone that is somewhat familiar with html. I found it in 2 hours total time.

Quote:
It can take months to re-write all of the code. Assistance was sought as posted in the previous thread. What is done is done. The site is fixed. We can all move forward.
There was no rewriting required. Once found, it took highlighting one line of code and hitting delete.

I don't think Black Hills TJ is pointing out anything that wasn't obvious. Now that I see that a purchase was in the works I can see why there was no real effort to get rid of the code.

Welcome aboard Andy. I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes us.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:34 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak
Community Admin

Actually, I just found out about this trojan horse stuff last week. I kind of popped up out of the blue after being at a friends house who has an amazing salt water aquarium. I was thinking about how intricate the ecosystem is to maintain and thought it would be a cool topic for a forum. I Googled, found AA, and approached them. I can't tell you how much work a forum community can become. The behind the scenes things like answering the support requests, software upgrades, working with the mods, etc. are endless. If you have other priorities in life the burden seems to loom in the back of your mind.

In response to the trojan stuff, I'll do a thourough review of all the files on the site when I move it over to my servers. We will be upgrading to vBulletin, the software that runs the forums. The Gallery and Reviews will be incorporated deeper and some other new features will be released. I'll also make sure that we get the word out with a newsletter about the upgrades and that the site is secure.

Don't loose faith, we have a some ground to recover but I know it's going to happen. This forum is really an amazing community (kind of like an aquarium) and even though things might not be as bright as their peak there is plenty of life and there is no reason we can't thrive!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Good stuff there Andy! We should all give you the benefit of the doubt here and help where we can. Otherwise, we go to another site and keep the grumbling down.

A few crtitical memories for us all to take from this IMO....

1. We're moving forward.
2. The past is the past (getting kinda tired of hearing about it - who was at fault, etc, etc)
3. Got a great community established from a lot of hard work - Lets see you try it! Thanks again Kevin and Aaron!!)
4. Gotta get Andy's tank up 8)

Psst... he's a saltie. Hah!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As far as the question when will the transition happen. It has already happened. Full control was turned over to Andy prior to the site wide announcement.

While the site still resides on my server at some point the files will be moved. When that occurs is up to Andy.

This transition is going to be done as smooth and as professionally as possible.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Good stuff there Andy! We should all give you the benefit of the doubt here and help where we can. Otherwise, we go to another site and keep the grumbling down.

A few crtitical memories for us all to take from this IMO....

1. We're moving forward.
2. The past is the past (getting kinda tired of hearing about it - who was at fault, etc, etc)
3. Got a great community established from a lot of hard work - Lets see you try it! Thanks again Kevin and Aaron!!)
4. Gotta get Andy's tank up 8)

Psst... he's a saltie. Hah!
I think this is an excellent summary! Though, you can't claim Andy as a salty yet! Who wants to take bets on how many tanks Andy will have once he settles down from his travels? I'm guessing no less than three.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
AquariumAdvice.com under new leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
when I settle down I am planning to start watching Craigslist in hopes of finding a nice salt water setup for me to foster.
Or you can check the classifiesd on this site and get great deals from our members!
Welcome Andy, it sound like you are here to help and learn, just like the rest of us!
Aaron and Kevin, thanks so much for your getting this site up and running. It has helped me and I have enjoyed the peaceful nature of the other members/mentors and mods.

+++EDIT+++
Oh, we'll get him to the saltie side!! LOL!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshain
Guys, don't forget. Teaching people how to raise an aquarium and get satisfaction from doing so is what Aron and Kevin designed this forum for. So what if now we are going to be teaching the owner. He needs our help and he is no different to me than any other newbie to newly register on the forums. Think of it as a challenge.
Excellent point - not helping a newbie, nevermind that he is the new owner, is not what AA stands for

About salt vs. fresh: Andy probably hasn't seen my betta pics yet!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bet Andy hasn't really looked at some of the amazing aquascaping in our member's freshwater tanks either!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com