Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #51
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt
edited my post....but didn't tell me it was edited?
I split the spam thread from the post. Maybe that is why it is showing your as edited. I didn't change anything in your post.
LOL! I missed the subject. I'll edit that, still not sure why it showed your post as being edited....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak
Community Admin

I will announce a software conversion soon. We will get rid of these spammers and put in place all kinds of great new tools for our site. It's really sad to see so many different influences converge to target this community. I can't wait to get off this software and start giving you all features to help foster the fine community this can be!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

No Roka, it's not because of your spam move. I removed the quote from the post because it contained the spam message that we deleted. It was a natural reaction, I should have PMd you ccapt but I didn't think it was a big deal since all I removed was the spammers message that you quoted. We prefer that spam messages are not quoted in member posts. It keeps the topic on track and makes it less confusing for other readers. When it is something minor that like I normally don't PM the member unless they violate the UA, but if it's a major post change or it was edited for language or the like, then I'll PM.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #54
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Well, first of all I did not quote any of the spam links. All that was quoted was the beginning of the first sentence. You not only removed that, you removed my comments on it and just left 2 words.
As I said, I sort of understand why it was done, but I do not agree with it being done with no notice. What's to stop a mod from altering a few words on anyone's post to make it more pleasing to them??????
Free speech...as long as a mod agrees?

I've never seem spam messages on this forum before, and now there were just 2 in this thread alone. Previews of coming attactions?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not at all cccapt, you are reading way too far into it. We do not edit topics to make them fit our own agenda, that is ludicrious. And as far as free speech goes, this is a private forum, we reserve the right to remove any posts that we deem unacceptable. Spam is unacceptable so it was removed.

I didn't say that you quoted the spam links, I said you quoted the spam message. The spam message in your post did not pertain whatsoever to the topic, it was completly out of place so it was removed. The spam message was removed so it only makes sense to remove the spam quote.

Spam messages have been extremely plentiful on the forum in recent months. We have removed no less than 7 or 8 spams from this message alone, and that is just what I am aware of (other mods remove spam before it is reported by other members). Members don't always see the spam since it is usually caught quickly.

55 Gallon Community
Old 12-24-2007, 01:57 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist

heh
Old 12-24-2007, 02:31 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is this like dropping the glove?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:48 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Dropping the glove? BTW, I have deleted 2 posts today in this thread alone. A lot of nasty posts seem to be showing up.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Dropping the glove? BTW, I have deleted 2 posts today in this thread alone. A lot of nasty posts seem to be showing up.
Its because this thread is global to all forums and members can post in it. This makes it a prime target for spammers. Not to stifle anyones comments but until a more secure software is installed, threads like this are best left locked.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alshain is absolutely correct. Because the topic is Global it is on the main page. Spammers find the first topic on the main page and respond. We wanted to avoid doing this, but I am going to lock this thread to avoid the abundance of inappropriate spam on this topic. With Christmas today and tomorrow mods won't be around as much to remove spam from this thread. If you would like to comment, make a seperate thread in the Site Help forum. Site News topics tend to be bombarded with spam also.

55 Gallon Community
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com