AquariumAdvice.com under new leadership

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off thanks to the folks who ran this site for these years. I know that I have learned so much, and in learning have come to enjoy this hobby so much more. It is the Community here at AA that has given me so much.

I am glad to hear that the forum will be professionally managed going forward. Content quality will always be up to us the members. But when it comes to quality on the technical side, I would rather leave that to an expert.

oh, and bah to salt. Take take up a real challenge and start a planted tank. <eg>

Oh I see Andy being in a tug of war between us FW folks and the SW folks. Gotta try both sides Andy. We'll all pitch in and help!

I agree the past is the past, let's move on. While change can be frightening and different, generally it is a good thing. Let's look forward to the future and see what we can do from here.

Kevin and Aaron, Thank you for all the hard work you put into the site. I fully understand lives getting fuller and responsibilities changing. You guys made AA friendly, fun, and informative. This site was there for me when I needed it and I have met 17 members in person in both Canada and the US. Even though I haven't been around lately, AA is never far from my mind. God Bless.

Andy, welcome to AA; it is a true gem.

I'll echo those sentiments Meghan. It was always the demeanor of the forum that made it such a fun place. Aaron and Kevin are to be commended for that.

Good Luck to you Andy!!

Andy R said:
We will be upgrading to vBulletin, the software that runs the forums.

I will be looking forward to this, vBulletin is an awesome software. I really dislike phpBB but I can't complain too much when it is free.

Just wanted to say thank you to reefrunner and fishfreak. Without you guys my tanks would have been sunk years ago. While I have not always maintained a tank as a member here I have always appreciated the honest and polite feedback that I have received on this forum. You two started a great website forum and should be proud. Now its a news guys turn and hats off to him. BTW Black Hills most of the guys that I know who own/operate LFS and whom I consider my local experts do not have private tanks either. Lets give the new guys a shot and hopefully AA will be as busy as it was when I first joined years ago! Congrats and welcome!!!

wow
edited my post....but didn't tell me it was edited?

I sort of understand why, but maybe the author (me) should be told his post was edited....and why. This is the first time anywhere I ever had something I posted changed by the admin and was not told it was being done. Sort of like taking my words and changing them to make them yours.

btw...you edited it, so edit it all the way. Look at the subject..........

cccapt said:
edited my post....but didn't tell me it was edited?
I split the spam thread from the post. Maybe that is why it is showing your as edited. I didn't change anything in your post.
LOL! I missed the subject. I'll edit that, still not sure why it showed your post as being edited....

I will announce a software conversion soon. We will get rid of these spammers and put in place all kinds of great new tools for our site. It's really sad to see so many different influences converge to target this community. I can't wait to get off this software and start giving you all features to help foster the fine community this can be!

No Roka, it's not because of your spam move. I removed the quote from the post because it contained the spam message that we deleted. It was a natural reaction, I should have PMd you ccapt but I didn't think it was a big deal since all I removed was the spammers message that you quoted. We prefer that spam messages are not quoted in member posts. It keeps the topic on track and makes it less confusing for other readers. When it is something minor that like I normally don't PM the member unless they violate the UA, but if it's a major post change or it was edited for language or the like, then I'll PM.

Well, first of all I did not quote any of the spam links. All that was quoted was the beginning of the first sentence. You not only removed that, you removed my comments on it and just left 2 words.
As I said, I sort of understand why it was done, but I do not agree with it being done with no notice. What's to stop a mod from altering a few words on anyone's post to make it more pleasing to them??????
Free speech...as long as a mod agrees?

I've never seem spam messages on this forum before, and now there were just 2 in this thread alone. Previews of coming attactions?

Not at all cccapt, you are reading way too far into it. We do not edit topics to make them fit our own agenda, that is ludicrious. And as far as free speech goes, this is a private forum, we reserve the right to remove any posts that we deem unacceptable. Spam is unacceptable so it was removed.

I didn't say that you quoted the spam links, I said you quoted the spam message. The spam message in your post did not pertain whatsoever to the topic, it was completly out of place so it was removed. The spam message was removed so it only makes sense to remove the spam quote.

Spam messages have been extremely plentiful on the forum in recent months. We have removed no less than 7 or 8 spams from this message alone, and that is just what I am aware of (other mods remove spam before it is reported by other members). Members don't always see the spam since it is usually caught quickly.

Dropping the glove? BTW, I have deleted 2 posts today in this thread alone. A lot of nasty posts seem to be showing up.

ellisz said:
Dropping the glove? BTW, I have deleted 2 posts today in this thread alone. A lot of nasty posts seem to be showing up.

Its because this thread is global to all forums and members can post in it. This makes it a prime target for spammers. Not to stifle anyones comments but until a more secure software is installed, threads like this are best left locked.

Alshain is absolutely correct. Because the topic is Global it is on the main page. Spammers find the first topic on the main page and respond. We wanted to avoid doing this, but I am going to lock this thread to avoid the abundance of inappropriate spam on this topic. With Christmas today and tomorrow mods won't be around as much to remove spam from this thread. If you would like to comment, make a seperate thread in the Site Help forum. Site News topics tend to be bombarded with spam also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom