The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I grabbed my avatar off of a website on the internet. Can I get in trouble for copyright infringement or something? I didn't see anything on the website that said I couldn't use it.

I may be very mistaken but I believe that as long as you are not making money off of the use of the image you can use it. This is my belief because I snagged an image from the internet myself, though I modified it. :roll:

TankGirl said:
I may be very mistaken but I believe that as long as you are not making money off of the use of the image you can use it. This is my belief because I snagged an image from the internet myself, though I modified it. :roll:

Which, if it were a violation of copyright...major problems...LOL. I guess were all in the same boat. No, so long as no $$$ is changing hands, no violation.

:D

When in doubt ask for permission. Thats the rule of thumb I follow. Some images can be classified as 'public domain', others are relased under the GNU license. Technicly anything you publish including an avatar that is created by yourself has an inharent copyright to it from the get go with or with out the little :copy: symbol.

I'm keeping my avatar. Does anyone know who my avatar is? I know him quite well. I just want to see who knows who he is and what he is from. Judging from all the anime I see on this website, I think many people should recognize him.

Nope. Try again. If someone is interested. Maybe this should be on another topic forum.

The definition of a copyright, at least under US law, is as follows:

17 U.S.C. § 106 - Exclusive rights in copyrighted works

Subject to sections 107 through 121, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

(6) in the case of sound recordings, to perform the copyrighted work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.

U.S. Code 17 U.S.C. § 106

It does not matter whether the person makes any money off of the reproduction. The US copyright law gives the author the exclusive right to copy, alter, or otherwise reproduce the creation unless written permission is given.

:D

One of the things to keep in mind is the practicality of the whole situation and whether it is worth it for someone to create a federal case over an avatar in a fish forum.

Back
Top Bottom