Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I grabbed my avatar off of a website on the internet. Can I get in trouble for copyright infringement or something? I didn't see anything on the website that said I couldn't use it.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I may be very mistaken but I believe that as long as you are not making money off of the use of the image you can use it. This is my belief because I snagged an image from the internet myself, though I modified it.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
I may be very mistaken but I believe that as long as you are not making money off of the use of the image you can use it. This is my belief because I snagged an image from the internet myself, though I modified it.
Which, if it were a violation of copyright...major problems...LOL. I guess were all in the same boat. No, so long as no $$$ is changing hands, no violation.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

King George can come after me if he wants, I'm ready for a scrap.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
When in doubt ask for permission. Thats the rule of thumb I follow. Some images can be classified as 'public domain', others are relased under the GNU license. Technicly anything you publish including an avatar that is created by yourself has an inharent copyright to it from the get go with or with out the little :copy: symbol.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm keeping my avatar. Does anyone know who my avatar is? I know him quite well. I just want to see who knows who he is and what he is from. Judging from all the anime I see on this website, I think many people should recognize him.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
looks like voltron animation :P
Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope. Try again. If someone is interested. Maybe this should be on another topic forum.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The definition of a copyright, at least under US law, is as follows:

17 U.S.C. § 106 - Exclusive rights in copyrighted works

Subject to sections 107 through 121, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

(6) in the case of sound recordings, to perform the copyrighted work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.

U.S. Code 17 U.S.C. § 106

It does not matter whether the person makes any money off of the reproduction. The US copyright law gives the author the exclusive right to copy, alter, or otherwise reproduce the creation unless written permission is given.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Great information fishyrican...gonna give up Hobbes? LOL

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com