Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

can i link pictures into posts?

gonna try anyway.

hopefully u should see a pic of my tank

Old 08-31-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

not the best pic, i can't seem to get a good pic, something to do with settings on camera i guess.

colours look better with flash off, but image comes out blurry

Old 09-01-2004, 01:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
yay menageries back! lol.

thats a great pic. compared to mine . abnd you have the same backround as me on my 10/29 gallon tanks. is that a hmm. 15-20 gallon tank? its just me but i like having caves etc in corners so if i had such a nice tank. lol. my tanks are starting to get algae. so ima try and clean up alil tomorrow. its 11:00 today and i gotta wake up 7:00 tomorrow
Old 09-01-2004, 01:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the flash and colors. I've tried messing with all the settings and have not found anything that seemed to work that great. I can offer one little suggestion. When you are too close to the aquarium it will looked warped. If you stand back farther and zoom in it will square up - but then hand-shake (blurriness) is a lot worse.

Nice pic, by the way!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cheers....

its 21 uk gallons...

am having great troubles finding the algae shrimp i put in there lol

they either hiding somewhere or been eaten
Old 09-01-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

tank, filters, fish, hood, tripod, lights, camera, a nice picture adds up quick $$$
1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to glasstapper
im jelous!
Old 09-02-2004, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Nice tank!

Picture suggestions:

Get yourself a decent (not necessarily expensive) photoediting software. I use the adobe photodeluxe that came with my camera. A couple of clicks fixes the color, fixes the warping, and crops the picture. I am a horrible photographer, but I can save some pictures I take by using the software.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Beautiful tank. A few tips to light it better for photographing.

1. Use a LOT of light. Don't rely on just the flash (in fact, unless you have an external flash you can aim, don't use it at all). Set up external lamps with the brightest bulbs they'll handle. The more light, the shorter the exposure time. Since fish are swimming, plants waving, water rippling, etc, the shorter the exposure time, the crisper, less blurry the image.

2. Avoid having the light hit the front of the tank directly. Diffuse it by bouncing it off some white poster board or something. This will keep it from washing out and give you a warmer image. This will also cut down or glare problems.

3. Try to get most of the light hitting from the two sides instead of the front. This will give it a more three dimensional appearance. Get some cardboard panels and mirrors so you can aim the light where you want it and shutter it where you don't.

4. Only use 'true blue' or 'color corrected' light bulbs. The light from a regular 'white' light bulb is not really white light. It skews to the yellow end of the spectrum giving everything a slightly jaundiced, sickly look. This effect is exaggerated by the camera which is far less sophisticated than an eye. Color corrected bulbs filter the light (by adding blue) so the end result is pure white light. This will result in truer and more vibrant color representation.

5. If you can get enough external light into the tank for a good photo, turn off the hood light. Flourescents also mess up good color.

6. Since your shooting through gallons of water and a sheet of glass (or plastic), the colors will still de-saturate a bit. Some photoshop (or equivalent) tweaking may still be necessary but don't rely on software to fix something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Try to get the camera to capture the truest image possible.

Experiment with these tips and your photos'll be magazine worthy in no time.

Tags
pictures

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com