Complaints about the site...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its about the site well more like your server. It seems to be very unresponsive at times. Most of the time it doesn't load but gives me a nice white background of the browser. Sometimes it takes about a good 5 minutes before the site loads, other times its some of the site loads but then dies in the middle of loading.

I don't think its the DNS but your web server application *being it apache or windows server 2003* that this site is hosted on. I know you've recently moved but it still seems to be having a hardtime getting the data back to the client.

I would request aquariumadvice through google, because google always updates the cache/DNS info with the latest every 12 hours. But even then I'm having a hardtime getting to your site. Theres no 400 series error or 500 series error; It seems to getting something but is not responding too well. I've cleaned out my cookies in both I.E/Firefox, and powered off my whole network, along with a Dns flush and register.
I've ping -t www.aquariumadvice.com came back with an averaging 80 ping but no packet loss.

Even in the day I'm having trouble So what gives?
Is florida too good for you or something? LOL

~Mp
P.S Could even be your sql database being sluggish seeing that you got some sort of phpbb portal for the homepage.

I have experienced the same issue, only at night though, around 1 am. I am assuming that the new servers time is off by an hour and it's our nightly back up thats causeing the issue. It's not the server, as my personal site and gallery are hosted on the same server and there is no slowdown what so ever. We are looking into it.

Everyones an expert these days. Dont bother yourself with the systems performance as I guarintee it will increase once I stop transfering information and stop working with multi gig archives.

What happens to your desktop when you work with a 2 or 3 gig file? Do things come to a slow down. I bet so.

Mad Professor said:
Its about the site well more like your server. It seems to be very unresponsive at times. Most of the time it doesn't load but gives me a nice white background of the browser. Sometimes it takes about a good 5 minutes before the site loads, other times its some of the site loads but then dies in the middle of loading.

I don't think its the DNS but your web server application *being it apache or windows server 2003* that this site is hosted on. I know you've recently moved but it still seems to be having a hardtime getting the data back to the client.

I would request aquariumadvice through google, because google always updates the cache/DNS info with the latest every 12 hours. But even then I'm having a hardtime getting to your site. Theres no 400 series error or 500 series error; It seems to getting something but is not responding too well. I've cleaned out my cookies in both I.E/Firefox, and powered off my whole network, along with a Dns flush and register.
I've ping -t www.aquariumadvice.com came back with an averaging 80 ping but no packet loss.

Even in the day I'm having trouble So what gives?
Is florida too good for you or something? LOL

~Mp
P.S Could even be your sql database being sluggish seeing that you got some sort of phpbb portal for the homepage.

Well lets see

Currently running:
2x Folding@home Apps.
Running music in background.
Several firefox tabs plus windows.
Moving several video files size about a good 15Gigs over the network from my PVR to my 200gig drive on my system.
Then theres remote desktop running, I'm reorganizing the 3x 250gigs in a raid 5 setup on my fileserver. *Preparing sometime later this year to switch from Windows to linux* Gotta review each file/folder to see what can be dipose of.

Oh yeah and I'm playing+Alt-tabbing between Silent Hunter III and everything else.
So no I'm not slowed down or laggy.

So I would expect the same with a server.

~Mp

Oh let me bow down to you all mighty computer user.

I am so sorry to have even crossed someone of your talent and knowledge.

While your at it why not zip up some of those movie and music files into multiple file archives and then uncompress them while doing all of the above and oh be sure to satisfy 20+ web requests per second with most requring multiple sql queries to pull together data while at the same time compiling an HTML page via the php processor before sending out to the users browser.

Oh did I mention googlebots been raping us recently? Hm u ever notice 20-30+ guests online. Well thats googlebot and unlike a user that reads posts googlebot just hits link after link after link.

Slowness last night was the result of me moving multiple secondary websites each a gig plus in size to the server while at the same time doing all its normal work and the slow down over night 12pm - now is a result of doing an incremental daily backup and a full weekly backup for the first time on all the domains. Of course now that thats been done the first time each incremental back up from here on out will not be near as intensive.

Oh we where also processing webstats for users.

Oh and lastly while I was dealing with the move last night we got mail bombed. Ever see what happens when you get a couple thousand mail messages hitting your system at the same time? Now remember windblows is not multithreaded in the way a server OS is so if you get thousands of emails they come in one at a time as you download them where as on a server you get a thousand or more messages instantly. ITs like getting 10 phone calls all at once and you must answer all of them right away and carry on a conversaiton with each independant of the others.

And as you have implyed you have multiple systems on your network. Congrads for you. This permits you to off load IO and CPU work on multiple systems where as if it was all going on an a single box you would have so much IO load just from moving large files around everything else would slow down significantly.

Folding at home runs as a low priority process meaning it only takes cpu when they are idle hence not taking up resources. Multiple tabs open in firefox is nothing but using a small amount of memory since pages load and sit idle. music will consume less than 5% cpu on modern systems unless you like the nice graphic stuff that players use for mood.

LOL, I used to be a server admin for a steel mill here, and I dont care what I was doing, anyone who ever owned a PC would feel a need to add their 2 cents, including the janitor. So what do fish tanks and computer systems have in common? Theres always and expert standing by to counterdict and critisize you.

LOL, I don't mean to belittle anyone, but this is too funny. Since I am a computer user, wanting to add my 2 cents, I thought I might add that It all seems to work great. Haven't experianced any slow downs at all. Thanks for all the Hard work Aaron/Kevin.

Nice way to freak out, Relax on the coffee man.
Makes you sound like This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

I'm a technician too, chill out... You said you were working with multigig archives and backup system running. But you didn't say you were under attack by the FRAKKING INTERNET. But then again I guess you assume I was a little dumb down american who watches american idol and kills his fishes wouldn't understand. Nice way to bend over backwards and attack me just because I was just posting What I know from my end. I was being nice letting you know, offering a place to start from. *considering the board software is phpbb* Its not like I'm physic and I know the system, and the status of the system like the back off my hand. But I didn't realize you were a frakking genius like Ken Jennings on jeopardy. What do you want me to do? This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

I'm not critizing you in the early post. I was giving a freindly helping hand letting you know what I was experiencing, because most boards I go to are usually ran by amateurs. Hell I'm not around servers alot just client machines, and running the network. I'll pretty much do the dirty work just so you don't have to get on your hands and knees. Next Time I will stay out of your way. Actually know what, Just the rudeness from the head administrator I'll just leave. Just to make him feel all high and mighty.

Another thing I didn't realize you owned a dedicated machine so you can run several vitural web servers, which inturn several websites and your mail server. Good for you ENJOY!

~Mp

And to sum all that up, minus one incident, the sites been working good for me too. I don't know the first thing about computers and servers, but MP, maybe if you stopped running so much stuff on your system you wouldn't have speed issues?

Devilishturtles said:
And to sum all that up, minus one incident, the sites been working good for me too. I don't know the first thing about computers and servers, but MP, maybe if you stopped running so much stuff on your system you wouldn't have speed issues?

Maybe I forgot to tell you that I'm only having an issue with this site only. If it were several other sites I would have connected the dots and would not have posted. But since its only this one I can see why you would like to pin the blame on the user instead of something else.

Another thing, Head admin drop with the dramatics. This site barely has 10,000 users versus a site like Oh scifi.com which has 3 million users with at least 500,000 users making 1000 posts per hour at any given moment. Considering they have just recently gave the site a face lift and an upgrade and are not having issues.

So good day...

But since its only this one I can see why you would like to pin the blame on the user instead of something else.

Actually, we have admitted there is an issue with this site that is causing it to slow/bog down. This issue is being addressed as quickly as time permits, and the issue is intermmitent, it only occurs when we are doing necessary site maintenance and should become a non-issue once that maintenenace is complete.

This site barely has 10,000 users versus a site like Oh scifi.com which has 3 million users with at least 500,000 users making 1000 posts per hour at any given moment.

Seems apples and oranges, if we had 3 million users with 500K users hitting the site at one time and posting 1000 posts per hour, I'm sure we would have our site on multiple servers, we could command a much larger fee from sponsors, although I doubt they use sponsors, as they are network supported. Of course you could be exxaggerating by a bit, according to their latest statistics, the forums at scifi.com aren't quite as active as you say they are.

I'm locking this thread. Be satisfied that the problem has been identified and is being corrected as quickly as we can get it done.

Oh and here is a little screen shot of the scifi.com forum stats as of 11:52am EST.

Attachments

• scifi_130.jpg
    scifi_130.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom