Download associated with AA viewing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ya'll know I'm not the tech savvy one, right???

Anyways, I need help with something. My home internet service is limited to 5120mb per month. Am I acutally downloading something when I vist this site and open threads??? If I click on and look at pics in full size in threads?

I may have to limit my visits here when I'm not at work. I'm up to 4700 used and my counter isn't reset until the 8th of the month. It's driving me crazy. Pls help me understand downloads and the daily actions I'm likely to take at this site.

Anyways, I need help with something. My home internet service is limited to 5120mb per month. Am I acutally downloading something when I vist this site and open threads??? If I click on and look at pics in full size in threads?...

Just to put it in perspective... a full-sized picture in high resolution can run about 2 MB. No one here posts pictures that big... well... maybe a couple folks can't seem to downsize their pictures correctly, but that doesn't happen very often. But let's just say that all the full size pictures are 2MB. You'd have to open and view over 2500 pictures of that size to hit that 5120 MB limit. Just a gut feel, but I'd say most of the full-size pictures that get posted here run closer to 300 kB or so. With that size picture, you can open over 17,000 pictures before reaching that limit. So I don't think it's the pictures here that are putting you over the hump.

Do you stream any internet music, like Pandora or anything? That'll add up quick...

What about the advertisement and links in the various posts? Not that I'm opening them. No streaming music.

Does looking at posts with pics displayed within them count for more download than one without a pic?

Wondering if my role the last month that send PMs to all new users has anything to do with my downloads. Will likely ask for the torch to be passed on that ASAP.

Bottom line, I've gotta step back a bit - at least until the 8th when when my counter is reset for my home internet. Mon thru Thu, I'm good with the work hours, but I won't be around much on the evenings or weekends it seems until I can figure this thing out. I don't work on Fridays. Need to save the download room for homework and bill paying.

I gotta find another internet provision!! I'm in a new home area that only has 2 options, so I understand. The limited data card thru AT&T, or satellite internet. I haven't heard good things about that. No DSL lines run to my house yet.

Any ideas from you tech types?? :)

You can turn off images in the tools, internet options, advanced, multimedia options (though I'm not sure if it blocks the content at the server or cache level).

You can also try this. Esp if you want to do some targeted testing. Reset everything then just browse AA and see what the usage is.

Rokario Software - Free Bandwidth Monitor

There is also the real possibility that you have a virus/trojan/tracker/unknown process that is communicating to an outside entity. Even most legit software now has auto-update features that constantly ping various sources for updates, send browsing history, etc. Email spam, attachments, streaming or downloaded video, mp3, etc.. ESPN and other sports/entertainment sites are big offenders for pushing video/music at you without a proactive acceptance by the recipient.

In the end, it's a losing battle for those that have limited connections.

Anyway, saw the post and thought I'd try and add some value instead of tagging along.

OK. I'm gonna look up all that you mentioned and figure out what it means. :) Thanks a lot for taking the time to post and help. I'll reset my "tools" option tonight and see what happens.

Seriously though, my old real estate agent that sold us our home over a year ago, told me she's rec'd an email from me 3 times maybe. Said "keeps getting it". The original email that I DID send to her was actually from me, but with the issues I'm having and what you mentioned above is making wonder if its all related.

drop me a PM if you want and I'll give you my contact info.. and we can try and work thru it. There are other tools available as well. I don't come here much anymore so it would be hit and miss. 99% miss

Back
Top Bottom