email forwarding of posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the time lag before a post is forwarded to the people watching the thread? And if you edit a post before the lag is done, does the edited post get sent or the original unedited post?

And does thread watching have an atomatic expiration time? Like, if no posts in 2 weeks, no more forwarding?

Just curious. boy, am I full of questions tonight.

What is the time lag before a post is forwarded to the people watching the thread? And if you edit a post before the lag is done, does the edited post get sent or the original unedited post?

Unless th email server is back logged (this has only happened once in 3 years that I am aware of) the email is sent immediately. There is no lag, therfore the edited information will not be sent as emails are not sent for edits.

And does thread watching have an atomatic expiration time? Like, if no posts in 2 weeks, no more forwarding?

There is no expiration on watching threads, the key is that you have to visit the actual post before you receive another notification. So if you receive a notification and visit the board, but do not actually open the thread, you will not receive any more notifications on that particular thread.

You can stop receiving notifications by not visiting the thread again, clicking the link at the bottom of the email that is for just such a purpose or go to the forum index, click on the link for "View Watched Posts" and on the page it takes you to you can choose to unwatch any posts you like.

I'm not sure on a watched post, but for private messaging, the e-mail notification comes almost instantly. If you click on "edit" on a message in your outbox, add something, and re-submit, the system does not send an additional e-mail with the edited private message (this only applies, of course, if the recipient has the private messages sent to his e-mail). So the person would get the original PM in their e-mail, and would have to view the message on the site here to see the edited version.

I wondered that too, so one night, when I had nothing to do, lol, I sent some PMs and edited PMs to my e-mail to test it out.

Back
Top Bottom