Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Badman

Old 04-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

see, you posted two posts in a row. Had I not checked again, I would not have seen your question.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:50 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Badman
Excuse me?

Do you really want a couple hundred e-mails in your mailbox per day from us. Cause that is exactly what would happen.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Quote:
Badman
Excuse me?
Not you, the site :P http://badmanstropicalfish.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Do you really want a couple hundred e-mails in your mailbox per day from us. Cause that is exactly what would happen.
If I decide to watch a topic, why not? I'd like to receive each New Topic, but only receive future posts in this topic if I decide to "Watch this topic"
Old 04-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A quick search of all posts that have been made in the last 24 hours tuns up over 430 posts.

Now obvously you probably would not be watching every single forum. But some of us do. So lets say you only watch the FW forums as I see you post in the FW area. Lets say you get 1/3ed of the daily posts in those forums so that would still be over 100 messages a day just from this site about new posts.

We have bad enough problem with folks having e-mail accounts over their quota and bouncing messages back to us that if we made such a change we would end up with god knows how many more bounced messages due to over quota accounts, incorrect e-mail addresses, anoying spam filters asking to click some dumb link so e-mail can flow into the mailbox or even worse those really annoying away messages.

"Sally will be out of the office on vacation till Friday. If this is an emergency please e-mail such and such".

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the link. I had not heard of that site before therefor didnt know whom you was refering to.

A quick look at that site shows that its running the following software.

Quote:
This discussion forum is an implementation of the Discus Pro discussion board program developed by DiscusWare, LLC.
We are not using that software so just like a different make and model car it has different features.

I also did a search of posts in the last 1 day over there and found.

Your search found 83 posts

So the total volume of posts is much greater making it much easier to acutally keep track of every single post.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i belong to an msn forum with that format and it is not good for me i am always getting max storage warnings in the mailbox i use for that forum so please if you are thinking of changing that give us the ability to opt out 8O
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 05:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK, no problem. Btw, there was not a lot of posts on the other site yesterday. I usually have about >100 days within a night. But I have no problem if you do not want to change. I suggested, you declined! :P I acknowledge that you have specific reasons for that.

Btw, one other suggestion, and take it if you want. Currently, in the e-mail, the link to the topic is at the top. The suggestion I have is to add the link at the end of the post as well, e.g., above the "watch or unwatch this topic" link. The reason is simple: I first read the post, and if I would like to post, I have to go again up the e-mail to click. It would be nice if I could simply click the link after the post. I happen to forget every time and click on the "watch the topic" link. Call me lazy, probably I am!

Also one remark, although you may not be able to do anything against it: I use mozilla to read the e-mails. Unfortunately, due to the long subject of the AA e-mails, I cannot see the subject of the post.
Do you think that this is normal? Or maybe one could put the subject at the top of the e-mail too?
Old 04-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrmc4
i belong to an msn forum with that format and it is not good for me i am always getting max storage warnings in the mailbox i use for that forum so please if you are thinking of changing that give us the ability to opt out 8O
alrmc4: my suggestion being not followed, you will not face this problem. I agree that I tend to forget about usual e-mail users that have MSN (or other) e-mails and do not check their e-mails often.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Mozillia must truncate subject lines.

Ill make a few tweaks to the e-mail template and see how it goes. Hopefully we wont confuse to many people.

I dont want to point anyone out but the feature of having the text in the message (you have to admit thats awsome) is not a standard feature and alot of people are not used to it. And regretfully they hit the reply button on their e-mail account a bit to quick sometimes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com