Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

follow a topic

Hi-

I'd like to know how it is possible to follow the posts in a topic, *without* the need that it is necessarily a reply to my posts. Currently, if I reply a post (or post one topic), I receive the new post, but, assuming I do not give another post, I do not get the following from others.

It is strange since it is written at the top that I watch this forum!

Thanks

Old 04-03-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

OK if your watching the forum, you only receive an email when a new topic is posted, unless you subscribe to the topic itself. This can be done by replying to the topic, or by clicking the link at the bottom of the thread (left side on most styles) to "watch this topic for replies". From that point you will receive 1 email when the topic is replied to, until you actually come to the site and vist the specific topic in question, then you will receive another email whan there is another reply.

I hope that answers your question, if not, let me know and I'll try and answer it again.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK, that's the behaviour I know of. I find it a pity not to be able all posts in the topic after clicking on "watch this topic" if one does not go to the website. It essentially breaks the continuity of a discussion, since if I do not click to put myself another post, I will not see what the others will say after my own post. Just a pity.
I strongly suggest to modify the preference that if one "watches" the topic, one gets e-mail for *every* post in the topic.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

"... a pity not to be able to read all posts..."
Old 04-03-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

That is not an option. You will continue to receive emails, once you visit the topic. but the site will only email you once until you go visit the topic. I have over 9000 posts and I subscribe to alot of threads I don't reply to, my emails come in like clock work, but if I received and email for each and every reply to all the threads I'm subscribed to...my mailbox would contain a thousand emails per day. I like that it only emails you once until you visit (not reply again, just click the link and read the thread), then you get an email for the next reply to that thread.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Apparently a matter of taste. Why don't you leave the option to either see the replies, or watch the whole topic. Understandably you are the administrator and thus receive thousands of posts. However *most* users on this site are *not* administrators and thus could be interested. I am member of another board with thus such option and I see not big difficulties, honestly.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

ause the software is not designed to give the option. It can't be done. I't's not a matter of unwillingness to do it, it's a matter of possibility.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

ah, ok, I misunderstood that, sorry.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Not sure if your really aware of the volume of messages we sent out already with the current functionality anyway. The system sends out a couple thousand e-mails a month as it is.

Not even the popular VBulliten software has this functionality or at least im not aware nor have ever seen it in use on any site I frequent.

After all we are first and formost a website forum vs an e-mail mailing list.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
I am member of another board with thus such option and I see not big difficulties, honestly.
Whats the site please... Just curoius as I want to see what they are running and how large they are.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com