Gestapo Control Of Forum Topics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing we all need to remember is that this forum is NOT a democracy. It was established by a few individuals that are free to monitor and censor content as they see fit.

That being said, I have to say that I am disappointed at the hiding/removing of the thread on "cycling a tank with a sneaker". I don't know if it was meant as a joke, or was a serious question and frankly I don't care. I did read it for a few days, but then I became bored with it and chose to move on. However, I think that posts like this do have a place in a public form such as this.

If the question and parts of the discussion were genuine, then the post should have stayed. In removing it, the site implies that some questions are less worthy then others. Ask a "stupid" question and we'll remove it. In addition, I don't believe that the information posted in the thread was any more dangerous than one who states that they like to keep "bio-balls" in their filter. While most advisors on this site would believe this to be foolish, it is mearly an opinion and must be fully evaluated by each individual before determining what course of action they will take.

If the thread was meant as a joke, then all the more reason it should stay. A little humor goes a long way to making this site even more enjoyable. And personally, I find the all the hoo haas, and hubba hubba's at the young woman who post their photos infinitely more offensive. If wouldn't do it in public to someone walking down the street, I certainly wouldn't do it here. But at the same time, I'm not going to recommend that those posts be hidden from view.

Freedom of speech is a very difficult thing to offer, and once you start censoring content, it's even more difficult to determine where to draw the line.

Hmmmm....new idea....cycling a tank with a taco bell burrito supreme.......same value, total horse piles.

tennis shoe issue

OK guys. I got tired of hearing all this arguing. So, I did some research. Here is what I found:
Article:

Don't go near the water By Alan Cantwell, Jr., M.D. A New Plague Endangers American Rivers A new microbe is stalking some of America's most important rivers and estuaries. Dubbed the "cell from hell," this microscopic one-celled organism has already been implicated in the death of billions of fish on the Eastern seaboard, and poses a serious health threat to fishermen and people exposed to these toxic waters.
Discovered a decade ago in the fish tanks of an aquatic laboratory headed by fish pathologist Dr. Edward Noga at the North Carolina School of Veterinary Medicine, this killing agent is not a bacterium or a virus, but has been identified as a dinoflagellate. Some species of dinoflagellates, or "dinos," are better known as "algae."

This "cell" is similar to the fungus that creates athletes foot.

Could there be a connection to cycling a tank with a shoe and this deadly desease? What about the Asia connection I eluded to before?

Here is another pretty good article:
http://www.aeoe.org/newsletter/state_01_spr.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom