Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Glofish died

I have a new fish tank we purshesed a week ago. We started on July 3, then on July 5 the water was cloudy, so I went to the pet store to ask, and they said we should put 3 danios to help clear the water, so we did it, then next day we added 3 glofish. They were doing well, the danios super active and playful, the glofish slow, but exploring the tank. Today 3 days later, all fish were fine, and suddenly one of the glofish stick itself to the wall of the tank without moving, I tried to make it move, but the movement of the filter and the pump, made it flip, like it was very weak. I called the pet store and the lady told me to make a water change and then it out and put it in a different bowl to see if it could survive. It ended up dying, and now I'm worry about my other fish. What can I do to prevent th m to die. The lady at the pet store said we overfeed them, we remade that we should feed them twice a day, but she said we should do it every other day. Please any advice would be very appreciated

Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Your doing what is called a fish in cycle, google it or search on the forum for more information. But basically plan on doing daily or every couple days water changes to keep ammonia from getting to a toxic level in the tank. Also donít add anymore fish, and go out and get a test kit (api makes a good affordable option) so you can monitor the conditions in the ank and change the water as necessary

Old 07-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What he said . And I have never heard of anyone telling to put in more fish to clear cloudy water . I would be looking for another store to work with .
Old 07-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Disregard everything that person at your lfs has told you. They know nothing.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Your doing what is called a fish in cycle, google it or search on the forum for more information. But basically plan on doing daily or every couple days water changes to keep ammonia from getting to a toxic level in the tank. Also donít add anymore fish, and go out and get a test kit (api makes a good affordable option) so you can monitor the conditions in the ank and change the water as necessary
I have a 5 in one test, the one that test nitrites, nitrates, Gh, PH, and Kh, and all the levels have been shown ok all the time, so I donít know if Iím doing it wrong or if thereís something else I need to test that Iím not doing
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unfortunately the only pet store we have in my town is the one where I got the fish, so they are the only people that I can “trust” for answers, but it not been helpful at all. My next question is that she told me to stop feeding them for the next 4 days and after that feed them every other day. Is that accurate? I don’t want my fish to starve. And by the way a second glofish died, so now I have 3 active danios and 1 very lethargic glofish, and I want to save them all. So please any help would be great
Old 07-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcea View Post
I have a 5 in one test, the one that test nitrites, nitrates, Gh, PH, and Kh, and all the levels have been shown ok all the time, so I donít know if Iím doing it wrong or if thereís something else I need to test that Iím not doing

You need an ammonia test, and those dip strips are horribly inaccurate. Research the nitrogen cycle/a fish in cycle. Basically ammonia is converted to nitrite which is in turn converted to nitrate. The first 2 are toxic to fish and nitrate needs to be removed by you via water changes after the cycle completes
Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

read this first though and it will give you a great basis for everything else you need to do.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Chances are you are needing the what to do in a fish in cycle and your test strips are likely not completely accurate.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
You need an ammonia test, and those dip strips are horribly inaccurate. Research the nitrogen cycle/a fish in cycle. Basically ammonia is converted to nitrite which is in turn converted to nitrate. The first 2 are toxic to fish and nitrate needs to be removed by you via water changes after the cycle completes
I really donít know what are we doing wrong. The third glofish died, and 2 of my danios are very lethargic, only one of the danios is still active. We purchased the API kit test, and all levels are normal, the only one a little bit high is the PH, which is at 7.6 right now. What can we do to lower the PH, and how can I help my danios to survive. I donít want all my fish to die. Please help us.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcea View Post
I really donít know what are we doing wrong. The third glofish died, and 2 of my danios are very lethargic, only one of the danios is still active. We purchased the API kit test, and all levels are normal, the only one a little bit high is the PH, which is at 7.6 right now. What can we do to lower the PH, and how can I help my danios to survive. I donít want all my fish to die. Please help us.

Whatís ďnormalĒ, we need numbers to help. How many water changes have you done since starting the tank? Are you using a water treatment product (prime as one and probably the best example) when you do the water changes? Did you read through all the information autumn linked for you? Iím leaning towards ammonia poisoning with out any further information since this is a brand new tank that wasnít cycled.

Tags
die, died, fish, glofish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com