How to Cycle a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CementShoes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why is there not an article on how to cycle a tank in the "Articles" section?

If by chance I over looked it and it is in there, why would it not be the very first, bolded, hugh typeface heading (and in the FW and SW sections) ?

IMO , someone should click on the articles and be slapped in the face with one on cycling closely followed by acclimation.

I'm thinking there isn't an article on it because cycling a tank is #1 not very complex #2 there are many ways to do it, including many variations on the old school live fish method as well as variations in the new age critter friendly fishless cycle. #3 There are many variables for each tank making each cycle similar to a snowflake, they are all basically the same structure, but no two are exactly alike.. :)

Yeah but I think they should be readily available to beginners just getting into aquarium keeping.

IMO part of becoming a great fish keeper is not having everything done for you, but having to do hours of research and reading, studying the hobby and the ecosystem your trying to mirror. :-D

Having things done for me makes my projects a lot less rewarding.

Although I can see how, in a lot of cases with people who don't know anything at all, a crude idea of how to cycle the tank should include an in depth explanation of how the nitrogen cycle works as well as the pro's and cons of different substrates and filtration systems (bio-balls, live rock ect). All of which makes a difference in cycling your tank imo, since the goal of cycling is to obtain equilibrium in your ecosystem and all of those variables change that equilibrium.

You are right, stupid idea.

I was just unaware of the simplicity and inherent knowledge that every individual was born with that plants that term and base knowledge in their subconscious. Maybe I can get out of my student loans with that argument too. More likely they would demand my degree be returned.

page 2 of the SW section, first place a newbie and/or FW people will look.

Ya'all enjoy your day now, hear

IMO part of becoming a great fish keeper is not having everything done for you, but having to do hours of research and reading, studying the hobby and the ecosystem your trying to mirror. :-D

Having things done for me makes my projects a lot less rewarding.

Although I can see how, in a lot of cases with people who don't know anything at all, a crude idea of how to cycle the tank should include an in depth explanation of how the nitrogen cycle works as well as the pro's and cons of different substrates and filtration systems (bio-balls, live rock ect). All of which makes a difference in cycling your tank imo, since the goal of cycling is to obtain equilibrium in your ecosystem and all of those variables change that equilibrium.

I completely agree with you but IMO, newbies need somewhere to start and a good place for research (as I had). You have to start somewhere and I am definitely not an advocate for having people do things for you, I believe that to do things right you have to do things yourself and make your own mistakes. Having articles readily available though I think falls under research rather than people doing things for you.
:D

The article could be about the many ways to do it, to help people pick one.

page 2 of the SW section, first place a newbie and/or FW people will look....

Hmm. I'm a SW person and have never looked in the FW articles, but I found an article in the FW section on cycling within 10 seconds. Granted, it's on page 2, so that's probably STILL not good enough for ya, but it's there...

One of the first things you'll find in the articles section is an article on how to submit an article for that section. If you think something is that buggered up, why not try and fix it.

You are right, stupid idea.

I was just unaware of the simplicity and inherent knowledge that every individual was born with that plants that term and base knowledge in their subconscious. Maybe I can get out of my student loans with that argument too. More likely they would demand my degree be returned.

page 2 of the SW section, first place a newbie and/or FW people will look.

Ya'all enjoy your day now, hear

I dont think they were meaning that in a condescending way... they meant that if you do the research yourself and learn as you go, instead of having somebody walk you through step by step, you will appreciate everything more. I started with no knowledge what so ever of anything aquarium related... All i knew was that they needed water, gravel, and food... Through talking with the guy at my LFS, getting some opinions from these guys, and old time trial and error, im starting to learn alot more. I am glad that nobody walked me through this step by step, because if they had, i wouldnt have made some of the mistakes ive made and learned from them. As for why there is no article on cycling, its basically the same concept as the reason there is no article on how you are supposed to drink water... There are so many opinions and ways to do it, that saying THIS is the right way to do it would be wrong.

I dont think they were meaning that in a condescending way... they meant that if you do the research yourself and learn as you go, instead of having somebody walk you through step by step, you will appreciate everything more. I started with no knowledge what so ever of anything aquarium related... All i knew was that they needed water, gravel, and food... Through talking with the guy at my LFS, getting some opinions from these guys, and old time trial and error, im starting to learn alot more. I am glad that nobody walked me through this step by step, because if they had, i wouldnt have made some of the mistakes ive made and learned from them. As for why there is no article on cycling, its basically the same concept as the reason there is no article on how you are supposed to drink water... There are so many opinions and ways to do it, that saying THIS is the right way to do it would be wrong.

I really dont think the cementshoes wants people to do things for him. Its a part of RESEARCH reading articles on cycling and when I had listed my plans as a newbie regarding my tanks, one of the admins gave me the link to the article on cycling which has several different ways on doing it. It was up to me to read it and use whichever one I wanted. Asking people for opinion is not asking them to do things for you. Thats a way to learn along with making mistakes on your own. That is what this website is about. Its about research. No one is doing things for you, they are just helping out when someone has a question.

I also dont think we should be comparing cycling a fish tank and the nitrogen cycle to drinking water. A bit much if you ask me. A lot of people dont know that you even need to cycle a tank let alone know what the nitrogen cycle is!

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom