Hyperlink ads keying on words in threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Am I the only one getting a little annoyed at the little pop-up ads that show up when your cursor happens to float over one of those double-underlined words in a thread?

I understand that this is another revenue source for the board, but I've yet to see any of the ads have anything remotely connected to what the word is referring to! Is there a way to fine tune the keywords so they might have a slight chance at grabbing something aquarium related?!

Or maybe I just have to be more careful as to where my cursor is!

I don't see them either. I use Firefox (don't know if that has anything to do with it).

I suspect that your computer may have become infected with spyware. I'd recommend downloading a good anti-spyware program and scanning your computer with it. Ad Aware and Spybot are a couple that are frequently recommended.

I have not seen them on this forum either, actually I looked around alot trying to find some, but none. I'm using firefox also.

Try Adaware 2008 free

Don't see them either. I use firefox. I like to delete my cookies and temporary internet files ever couple months or so. You would be surprised how much junk you can collect in those and a lot of it is unnecessary at best.

These ads are ONLY shown to guests. Once you login they go away. I figured this was the best way to implement them.

These ads are ONLY shown to guests. Once you login they go away. I figured this was the best way to implement them.

Thanks Andy... that explains it - many times I just surf the board without logging in. Still seems like they should be more targeted though. The one I saw was a hyperlink on the word "heater" and the ad was for a house furnace. Go figure.

And I guess the responses I got answered my question... I guess I am the only one annoyed by them, since I seem to be the only one that notices them! (Devilishturtles... I'm running FireFox 2.0.0.16)

I know I have seen those links before, but I tried on this forum logged out and still did not see them.

I'm running the newest FireFox(3.0.1) and I use some addons, adblock plus and no script. These are basically a firewall as they dont let adds or popups/java, ect... The noscript you have to allow the site your on to see pics and sometimes allow another to see videos. Once you get the hang of it its a very good safety feature and easy to use(yes it saves your settings so you dont have to allow the site everytime you visit)

Back
Top Bottom