I Have to Log In Everytime I visit Aquarium Advice......why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djlen3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a member of at least 20 other forums and once logged in, unless I delete cookies, I never have to log in when I visit.
This is not my experience here. Every time I visit I have to log in again.
I visited this site 3 times today and had to log in each time.
Can someone please adivse as to how to get around this issue.

Len

There is a check box just below the password field to mark to have your computer save your cookie so you auto login. I have no issues autologging in on several systems.

I am having this issue as well, but only occasionally. Sometimes I log in fine, sometimes I'm logged out and have to log back in. But, it only started recently, hasn't been a problem before.

The ONLY thing we have changed recently in the last week is the default style. This change has nothing to do with saving cookies or auto login. The other possible changes would be on the end user end with possibly a different browser or different security settings.

If you think its style related you can just go back to the style you where using before the change in default style.

I'm using IE 6.0.
There is definitely an issue on your end based on my not having this issue with any of the other sites I visit.
In my case, it has only started happening in the last couple of weeks or so.

Len

There is definitely an issue on your end based on my not having this issue with any of the other sites I visit.

The fact that it works for the vast majority of users indicates otherwise.

Go into your internet option in IE6, clear your cache, and delete your cookies (or go into the cookies and delete just the aquariumadvice cookie, make sure there are not more than one instance of the cookie, delete all cookies associated with aquariumadvice). Then go to www.aquariumadvice.com and log in again. It could be as simple as your cookie having corrupted, or something along the lines of the server move. If it worked before and doesn't work now and we have not altered anything in the site...there is another issue.

In addition make sure the time and date on your computer are correct. If your time/date is to far off from reality your cookie can expire before its even created.

Just to comment on this, I'm using IE 6.0 and this has been happening ever since the upgrade. If I log in and then close the browser, then open it back up, it logs in fine. But if there's any hesitation or stalling, and I close the browser before it comes up and open a new window, I have to log in again. The only way I found around it is to only open it once, and if it stalls, just sit and wait for the site to come up. And if it goes to the blank screen like the site's not found, then close it and reopen it, it logs in just fine. It's just that 2nd click that causes the re-login. Also, if it hesitates on opening and you hit the refresh, it will come up but you also have to re-login again. Hope this helps, as this happens on all 3 of my computers running Win XP Home as well as Win XP Pro.

this has also been happening to me since the default style change. there is no 'remember me' option that i see. i have changed my style to a different one, but whenever the site loads i am logged out and the default style is loaded.

as someone else said, i also feel this is something on your end - i have not changed anything here. i use firefox 1.5.0.8.

Have you deleted your cookies and then relogged in, telling the site to remember you?

In the graphite style, apparently on there is no check box to remember your log in, but there is on the home page.

Attachments

• phpbb_23_152.jpg
    phpbb_23_152.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 15
There is NO box for 'remember me' on the page that I log in on. I just logged on before posting this, and I'm here to tell you that there was no box there. I deliberately looked for one since fishfreek mentioned it in a previous post on this thread.
I'm not here to argue about who or what's at fault. I just found it strange that I have to log in repeatedly.
If I leave the site and visit another site and then come back I can usually stay logged on, but if I let an hour or so pass between visits I always have to log on again.
I will check the cookies and delete any for this site and see if there is a change.

Len

reefrunner69 said:
In the graphite style, apparently there is no check box to remember your log in, but there is on the home page.

There is NO box for 'remember me' on the page that I log in on. I just logged on before posting this, and I'm here to tell you that there was no box there.

Yeah, I saw that with the graphite style before you posted, the screen shot is from the log in box on the home page in the upper right corner. I haven't looked to see if it is style specific that there isn't a "remember me" option on the www.aquariumadvice.com/login.php but it is obviously possible, as I didn't expect it in the graphite style either.

Let us know if the cookies works out for you and check the date (make sure the year is correct also) on your machine. We will work with you to get to the bottom of this, but we need feed back.

OK, I just deleted the only cookie I had and restarted my computer and then came back to the site and had to log in again.
When I click on Aquarium Advice in my favorites it's set to take me to the Planted Tank forum. When I arrive there I'm not logged on because it says 'log on'. When I click on that it takes me to a page where there is only a place for 'user name' and 'password'. There is no box below password saying remember me.
As I said I visit multiple forums and this is the only one I have this issue with.

Len

Well, that seems to have done it.
I logged in, then restarted the computer and re-visited and I'm still logged in.
Nice work.
I will tell you if I have any further issues, but it looks good at this point.

Len

do you have to do anything special to make the sit remember you with IE 7?

it is not just this forum, but all forum that will not remember me anymore...computer just auto updated me to IE 7 today :?

Since it's a different browser...I would start by deleting all my cookies and then relogging in. That might clear it up, if it doesn't most likely it's a security/privacy setting that needs to be changed in IE7.

Back
Top Bottom