Internet explorer goes nuts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
every now and then, I will click the close button on an IE window while the AA site is displaying a "click here to return to...." message after a post. The problem is, if I do this while AA is "thinking" about redirecting me back to the post I just made, IE goes nuts and opens up like 78 window simultaneously. If I try to close them, it recurrs. The only way out of the feedback loop is to log off or restart the computer. CTR ALT DEL doesnt work. Anyone see this before?

Tom, it sounds like your infested with spyware! Have you any anti-spyware software? MS has a new one called beta. It's pretty good and it's free. It should be available on the microsoft homepage.

Tom the best spyware remover you can get is AdAware.
Go to www.download.com and search for "AdAware SE"

Another one on that site is "Spybot Search and Destroy"

"CCleaner"

"Tweak Now Registry Cleaner"

Those should keep your PC clean. A good antivirus that is free is AVG. Search google for AVG Grisoft.

I use McAfee, at least until the subscription runs out. Regular scans reveal no viruses, web bugs, spyware. It seems that IE is befuddled by attempting to close down when AA is in the process of adding a post.

zacdl said:
Tom the best spyware remover you can get is AdAware.
Go to www.download.com and search for "AdAware SE"

Another one on that site is "Spybot Search and Destroy"

"CCleaner"

"Tweak Now Registry Cleaner"

Those should keep your PC clean. A good antivirus that is free is AVG. Search google for AVG Grisoft.

I have ad-aware and spy-bot also. If you haven't used the MS beta program, it's worth taking a look into. It detects a lot more than either of the two (probably because MS created the holes that they climb into). It can also be set to automatically run (I have mine going at 2:00 am every day). To compare, I ran both ad-adware and spy-bot, ad-adware picked up 6 dataminers, spy-bot picked up 12 and then I ran Beta and found 23. It also removed a "Searchbar" that I hadn't be able to manually remove for months. The other feature that is really good is it will detect a "Browser Aid" and inform you of it's presence. You can delete it immediately.

Definitely a spyware thing, cause one thing I can guarantee you is that this site does not now, nor ever will (so long as Aaron or I have anything to do about it) allow pop ups.

No pop up's, pop unders, spyware or tracking cookies. Except for of course the login info cookies.

IE is an online security risk posing as an internet browser. Get the free Mozilla Firefox browser.

http://www.mozilla.org/

It's much less susceptible to spyware and adware than IE, although that may change as it becomes more popular and a more attractive target for hackers.

Back
Top Bottom