iPhone app issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I have been having problems with the iPhone app.
1. The app randomly crashes.
2. I can't upload photos 99% of the time. (and yes I have photo storage room left, I have checked)
3. The screen randomly goes white when in the thread or when typing a reply. The letter keys disappear.
4. The sending screen when sending a reply freezes nearly every time I send a reply. I have to then hit the cancel key then the refresh button to see if my reply has sent. If it hasn't I have lost my whole reply and have to type it out again.
I have been having these problems for 6+ months. I have tried deleting, reinstalling, restarting and updating my computer and iPhone 4 in every imaginable order. My computer, iPhone 4 and the app itself are all up to date.
Please can someone look into this? I know I'm not the only one experiencing these problems. I don't have Internet on my computer while at my house only on my iPhone. I love this community and it's hard to participate if the app isn't functioning as it should. Are my problems because I'm not in the US? I don't think my location should matter.

New York here and have same issues EXCEPT your picture issue. But all other issues I experience as well...

I don't think the location should matter either. This is really a head scratcher as I know you have tried all of the usual remedies. With the latest version release of the app for both iPhone and iPad, it has been the most stable experience I have seen as I use both regularly. I haven't had a single issue.

To reiterate, as I am sure you have tried all of this before (but it might help someone else who happens upon this thread).

Before starting, make sure you are running the latest version of iOS. (v. 5.0.1 released 10 November).

1. Delete the app off your device.

2. Power off and restart your device.

3. Re-install the app.

4. Power off and restart your device again prior to opening.

5. Open the app & log in.

For you mumma, the only other thing I could think would be to possibly do a restore on your phone in itunes and roll it back to all the factory settings, and try again. It is just so strange that it could run very stable on some devices, and cause all of the havoc on the exact same device.

Thank you fort. I will try that when I get home. I am a little scared to restore the factory settings and reboot the phone. Do you know how I could back up all my messages, photos, etc? Or will iTunes do that automatically? I don't have iCloud set up because I don't have wifi Internet at my house.

Mumma.of.two said:
Thank you fort. I will try that when I get home. I am a little scared to restore the factory settings and reboot the phone. Do you know how I could back up all my messages, photos, etc? Or will iTunes do that automatically? I don't have iCloud set up because I don't have wifi Internet at my house.

Unfortunately it won't. But you can still use the website :)

Ibrahim said:
Unfortunately it won't. But you can still use the website :)

Mmm, so I will loose my messages (oh well). I can transfer photos over (don't want to loose them!) and my apps are backed up. But nothing else will be saved?

I think there is a way to do a backup and restore but I have never done it. There is no guarantee it would work either but I am out of ideas for other things to try...

You could use safari and just use the web page instead of the app but I know first hand the app is far more convenient on a mobile device. It is disappointing that you and others are experiencing issues with it. I can appreciate your frustration.

fort384 said:
I think there is a way to do a backup and restore but I have never done it. There is no guarantee it would work either but I am out of ideas for other things to try...

You could use safari and just use the web page instead of the app but I know first hand the app is far more convenient on a mobile device. It is disappointing that you and others are experiencing issues with it. I can appreciate your frustration.

Yes. Last time I updated the phone it backed up, then deleted everything, did the update, then restored my settings. I'm afraid that I will press the restore button then it won't backup like its does with an update. I might see if I can find some info on the iPhone help page.

I have tried using safari but the writing is too small. Lol! Thank you for your help.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes. Last time I updated the phone it backed up, then deleted everything, did the update, then restored my settings. I'm afraid that I will press the restore button then it won't backup like its does with an update. I might see if I can find some info on the iPhone help page.

I have tried using safari but the writing is too small. Lol! Thank you for your help.

You will back up the information in the apps but will lose the apps, pictures, videos, etc.

Ibrahim said:
You will back up the information in the apps but will lose the apps, pictures, videos, etc.

Sorry bit confused. Is that if I use iCloud or the reset function? The info in the apps will backup but the app will need to be transferred back into the phone from my computer? The photos and videos I will transfer over manually and save in my computer.

Mumma.of.two said:
Sorry bit confused. Is that if I use iCloud or the reset function? The info in the apps will backup but the app will need to be transferred back into the phone from my computer? The photos and videos I will transfer over manually and save in my computer.

iCloud backs up everything. You'll lose everything even info in apps if you reset straight from your phone. If you backup using iTunes it'll save some stuff and iCloud saves everything.

Mumma.of.two said:
Thank you very much!

Np! I have an iPhone 4 as well and understand the issues the app has. But the only problem I experience is that some pics just show up as "Connection Error"

Ibrahim said:
Np! I have an iPhone 4 as well and understand the issues the app has. But the only problem I experience is that some pics just show up as "Connection Error"

Lol. I have that one too! I seem to have them ALL. Thanks again.

I have iphone 4, the pages go white eery once in a while, so i just dont use the app for about an hour and it works again. Or you can turn off your phone and re start it, but i dont suggest that

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I have iphone 4, the pages go white eery once in a while, so i just dont use the app for about an hour and it works again. Or you can turn off your phone and re start it, but i dont suggest that

Yep done that many times. Fixes it for about an hour then it starts again.

I'm pretty sure that if you do a full backup in iTunes it'll save everything, including your messages. I've done a reinstall and upgrade a several times and never lost a single message. You just need to remember to make a backup before updating/resetting to factory settings, and then do a restore from iTunes when it ask you to (after reinstall/upgrade). If you still be missing a pictures or messages just synchronise it again AFTER everything (at the very end).

Back
Top Bottom