Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is AA compatible with Safari?

I just recently bought myself a Mac, and have Safari on it as my internet browser. Whenever I open a thread the text appears for maybe 3 seconds and then disappears. Now, I probably won't be able to see a response to this, but maybe someone can PM me (and I hope I can see those too!)? Thanks!

PS - hopefully I'll be back consistently on the board towards to end of summer. I have some moving to do but I just found myself a free fish tank and I want to spend my little bit of extra time getting ideas. I know AA is the best place for that.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Just saw it was available for windows today and am downloading to try it out.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know you answered, but I can't see it.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Im sending this to you in email since it does not work with safari. Those who use safar only partially see message text. Up until yesterday since no one could buy me a MAC I had no idea what it looked like but now that safari for windows is available (BTW there is a security flaw already for it) I saw last night what it does.

Will it get fixed. Not any time soon. I dont have the time to dedicate to troubleshooting a browser that is used by less than 1% of our userbase.

Maybe before I had a child and before my wife went back to school for a paramedics degree but right now its not gonna happen.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I've been PM him back and forth and he got FF installed and is happy. Thanks for the heads up on the Safari security flaw

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 06-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, I got myself Firefox! Like I used to have in the past. So, don't waste what precious free time you have. I completely understand since I spent the last year working 80 hours a week. Yuck!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

For the record, I abandonded this site for like a year while I was using Safari and have only now begun to come back since i switched to FireFox. "Less than 1%" are real people.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Also curious if it's an Apple computer thing because I forgot to mention that I did try Safari for windows and couldn't duplicate the missing text :|

1% are real people but if 99% can see the site it's hard to waste too much time figuring out what's wrong when that 1% can easily rectify the problem using FF.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 06-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

You would know better than I would if only 1% of your visitors were on Macs using Safari, but I would hazard a guess that of all Mac users, probably only 20% or less have downloaded an alternate browser. Safari comes installed and works wonderfully, so they have no reason to. By that guess you should be getting more like 4% of your visits from Mac users using Safari. If those numbers are accurate, then 3 out of 4 of your mac users have a quick look and then don't stay when the forums don't work for them, turning away 3% of potential users.

Maybe my math is way off, I don't know. I do know that I make web sites for a living and if I find out that part of my code is working unexpectedly on a niche browser such as WebTV or a reader for the blind, I will always work to correct it.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I agree that reworking the code to make it compatible for 100% just make sense but this site is run by phpB which in itself is very complicated code unrelated to regular HTML and reworking that code would be a nightmare to satisfy 1-3% of your user base.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank

Tags
compatible

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com