Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

make that two

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profil...rofile&u=16504

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Use the report feature. Linking just helps the spammers out.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
How do you report a profile?

Both of the profiles listed have no posts and I thought only posts could be reported?

How can a average user tell it's a bot or spammer when no posts have been made? (I know admins can tell)

Lastly how does linking the profile help the spammer?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I really don't know.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
How do you report a profile?

Both of the profiles listed have no posts and I thought only posts could be reported?

How can a average user tell it's a bot or spammer when no posts have been made? (I know admins can tell)

Lastly how does linking the profile help the spammer?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I really don't know.
You can not report a profile only report a post.

You as a general member will likly not know an account is a spammer till they post but we as admins have must more visability to the user and can easily determin most spammers with out having to wait for them to make a post. Trust me when I say daily its not uncommon for me to remove at least a half dozen from this site before a single spam post is made.

Linking the profile can help as there is a link to ALL their posts. Search bots like google can not search a users profile and therefor can not see the link to all posts but it does end up giving them more potental visability to the user base. Spammers need attention. If they get non they are worthless.

By using the report button and not calling them out in any other way its like a silent alarm and allows us with power to take action again silently and discretly hopfully keeping the inapproprate posts away from the eyes of most of our members.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Thanks for the reply

Is the reason both profiles show 0 posts because any posts they have made have been already deleted and/or moved?

If posts are put into the spam forum are they not counted anymore as post in the profile? Can search bots see the posts in the spam forum?

Thanks again for the clarification.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The user is gone from the system. Once identified they do not last long.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com