My 55 gallon tank turned brown from a piece of driftwood. How do I clean it up, or sh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see the brown but it's brown from tannins released by the driftwood they are not harmful to your fish but if you do not like them you can do more frequent water changes + add carbon to your filter.. In the future you can decrease tannin release by soaking the driftwood for a couple of weeks and I have had success with boiling driftwood i have boiled all three pieces in my tank for about 5 hrs each changing the water every 30 min or so and my water is very clear plus I have carbon in my filter

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I took it out. Will the clear on its own now with time

Your Tank

View attachment 244908

Hello Marty...

Just change out the tank water. The tannic acid leached from the wood will drop your water's pH just a bit, but nothing to worry about. You should be changing half the tank water in a 55 gallon tank every week or so anyway to keep the fish and plants healthy. Removing the tannins is just another reason to do the water changes. The water will clear in a few weeks.

B

Thank you B. I just did about a 10 gallon water change tonight. Will wait about a week and do it again. I appreciate you getting back to me
Thanks
Marty

Unless you're way under stocked you should be changing more than just 10 gallons for the sake of the fish. 20-25 gallons would be ideal and it will remove the tannins faster.

I soaked my driftwood in a bucket for two weeks, adding hot water and changing as the water stained. After the staining was minimal at 12 hours I boiled the piece for about 12 hours over the course of two evenings, changing the water as it stained. My water remained clear and my pH remained stable.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom