"My Info"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Maybe I'm missing where it moved to, but is the "My Info" button that lists folks tank info still around?

If not, that was a really handy thing to have (assuming folks filled it out :rolleyes:) when trying to help people. Beats asking every single time... "Tell us about your tank, how big, how many, how much, blah blah blah."

That's a good point! That was a very handy link (if the poster filled it out) and did cut down on the, "Can you tell us about your tank?" Questions.

Of course I can not speak for the new ownership or management but the My Info button and feature was one of the many highly customizations that we put in over the years on the old site. There where easily 100 such tweaks on the old site that became 'normal'. I don't know if the VB software has something that could be used that would be equivalent to the My Info feature but I know Andy will likly look into it if the community sees a benifit to it.

I will be working to bring over all that information. Thanks for pointing it out!

Do you know where you will store the information, or will it be a custom thing?

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks while setting up a saltwater aquarium, and I now have a need to fill out "My Info" as the tank is up and running. As I didn't have "My Info" on the old site to transfer over, I was hoping I could go ahead and fill that out if you knew where its "place holder" was going to be.

MommaFishels, I don't believe they have been moved over, so I don't think there is a place for you to fill out, just yet. We had a change of ownership, so Andy and Janet are working to get everything back to normal.

The place holder is not quite ready yet. I am waiting on a database administrator (DBA) to help me move that info over. It could be a couple weeks before it's done. Sorry for the delay...

No problem. I am aware of the change of ownership as I started lurking around here a few weeks before the change, but never signed-up until after. I know the new Admins are working hard to get all the little extras that we need. Thank you for the quick responses.

Since the site first transitioned I haven't really noticed any of the changes that have been suggested take place really accept the addition of the Articles link. Have there been any other changes that have happened since the initial roll-out that I am missing. And knowing what changes are planned to take place in the future would be cool so we could offer feedback.. I like the site regardless and enjoy hanging out on the forums just curious if maybe I was missing some of the changes. And the my info button would be nice. there is places to put info on our profiles. Maybe if there was a button on each of our posts that was a tank info link to where we filled out our tank info for easy viewing.

I've seen other forums that REQUIRE that you post your tank info in your signature line. If you don't, they kick you out after a week or so. Pretty brutal... but it get's the job done. The only problem is that with something like that, you have to actually have a person go in and follow through on the threat, which takes a lot of time.

I don't think you're missing any of the changes fijiwigi.

We're still in progress. The articles have been migrated from the old site - these had to be done by hand and it was time consuming, but the excellent content was well worth the labor.

We have added tools to cut down on garbage and prevent malware.

There are some enhanced profile options. You can set up a personal photo album in your profile, personalize your profile and add some basic info about yourself.

We are still working on bugs in the gallery and adding some other features, but it takes time. Our first focus has been on these basics and then we'll move on to more profile enhancements and some other cool stuff. Thanks for being patient.

...Our first focus has been on these basics and then we'll move on to more profile enhancements and some other cool stuff. Thanks for being patient.

The "my info" stuff, in my opinion, is about the most basic essential folks need that give any advice on this forum. It's not an enhancement or "cool stuff"... it's something that helps people give good advice.

For example, I just read a post this evening from someone asking a specific question about their water parameters. To answer that question, I need to know what livestock this person has in their tank, what size it is, etc. Now I know this person has stated all this in some previous thread, I just can't remember what the answers are - and who can with all the members here! Am I going to search through the hundreds of posts from this person to find that one tidbit of info? No. Should this person have to repeat this info everytime they ask a question? No. Should they put it in their signature line? Probably. Am I going to ask this person, yet again as others have in previous posts, to please repeat this information? No - my time is limited and I'm just going to move on to the next post that I can answer without having to play 20 questions with this person.

I just can't see how that type of feature ranks lower in the prioirty list than the ability to turn your profile page pink with a neon blue font.

I just can't see how that type of feature ranks lower in the prioirty list than the ability to turn your profile page pink with a neon blue font.
So I can turn my profile pink with a neaon blue font. Sounds like a cool feature:p I see your point on the tank info problem. Should be the first thing to change in my opinion as well. I also have that issue when responding to a post of trying to remember what exactly the persons tank is like or if it is freshwater or saltwater. I usually use the Quick links buttons for todays posts and don't really pay attention to what thread the post was originally started on. So i have to scroll up to see what thread I am on.

The customized colors of the profiles was an out-of-the-box feature with vBulletin. We did not put that in from of getting the tank info restored.

I apologize for not getting this ported over. I have had various issues arise that have prevented me from getting this done. I will try to find a database person who can help with this today. We might not be able to port everything over and will just have to put the fields in place and ask members to fill them in.

I'd say if you are having problems with this, I would just post the fields and make an announcement on the front page. That way people will update their My Info page with their most up-to-date information about their tanks. Sure it would be a pain for the users but it would get you the most accurate information. Just my 2 cents!

I was gone for a while, when was this site sold (I assume from andy's join date it was only a few months ago?), to who and for how much?

I was thinking the same thing. I joined back in October of 2006 when I got my first 10gallon tank. After it was setup and running smoothly, unfortunately, I stopped visiting this great site.

The sale went through and the new ownership occured mid Dec. Andy's profile can be viewed by clicking on his name three posts up from mine.

The details of the sale are of course private to the involved parties.

Back
Top Bottom