Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My IP Address is showing after I post a response on photos?

Just wondering why the IP address is shown under everyone's name when they post a comment about the photo galleries? Has it always been like this?

I'm sorry to sound too concerned, but isn't this a security risk?

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
zacdl

Not really.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to wishbone Send a message via Yahoo to wishbone
not really, but someone who really knew what they were doing might be able to mess with you. IP addresses are hardly related to just you. Especially since most internet providers use DHCP (dynamic random ip addresses) your computer will most likely have a different IP within a week anyway. Even if you never shut off your computer and it always has the same IP, most likely noone is going to bother unless you've made some enemies here and someone specifically wants to target you. Otherwise there's no reason they would go after just your IP address. Regardless there are many ways to discover IP addresses even if there are not listed on a public internet forum.

Always use a cheap NAT box (companies like linksys/netgear call them firewalls) and you'll be more than protected.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I posted numerous comments on photos in the galleries and I've never seen any IP address shown after doing so. I may as well take a look now since you've mentioned it. If it does occur now, it must be some type of error.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
zacdl

Someone who really knows what they are doing doesnt even need to see your IP address to find it.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I just made comments to your tank and shrimp photos and didn't see any IP addresses.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
We havent made changes to the photo gallery in months and having your IP listed is by far not your only worries about being online.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It was some type of error because I was seeing the IP's of all the posters and there was a new admin link. I emailed Kevin though, so now it's back to normal and I can't see any IP addy's or the admin link. So I guess it's fixed!

On a side note, the reason I was worried about the IP address thing is because someone I know used to target IP #'s and then find open ports on machines to gain access. Now looking back on my post, I think my post sounded arrogant/mean/paranoid and I certainly didn't mean for it to come across like that.

Cheers all
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes the issues been resolved. A slight permissions error.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oto, photos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com