My IP Address is showing after I post a response on photos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering why the IP address is shown under everyone's name when they post a comment about the photo galleries? Has it always been like this?

I'm sorry to sound too concerned, but isn't this a security risk?

not really, but someone who really knew what they were doing might be able to mess with you. IP addresses are hardly related to just you. Especially since most internet providers use DHCP (dynamic random ip addresses) your computer will most likely have a different IP within a week anyway. Even if you never shut off your computer and it always has the same IP, most likely noone is going to bother unless you've made some enemies here and someone specifically wants to target you. Otherwise there's no reason they would go after just your IP address. Regardless there are many ways to discover IP addresses even if there are not listed on a public internet forum.

Always use a cheap NAT box (companies like linksys/netgear call them firewalls) and you'll be more than protected.

I posted numerous comments on photos in the galleries and I've never seen any IP address shown after doing so. I may as well take a look now since you've mentioned it. If it does occur now, it must be some type of error.

Someone who really knows what they are doing doesnt even need to see your IP address to find it.

We havent made changes to the photo gallery in months and having your IP listed is by far not your only worries about being online.

It was some type of error because I was seeing the IP's of all the posters and there was a new admin link. I emailed Kevin though, so now it's back to normal and I can't see any IP addy's or the admin link. So I guess it's fixed!

On a side note, the reason I was worried about the IP address thing is because someone I know used to target IP #'s and then find open ports on machines to gain access. Now looking back on my post, I think my post sounded arrogant/mean/paranoid and I certainly didn't mean for it to come across like that.

Cheers all :)

Back
Top Bottom