Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-04-2003, 01:04 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I wonder how much variables like flow and tank covers will affect the heater issue? Say between a covered tank with little flow and an open tank with the surface churning? The reason I ask is that when I uncovered my 10g and upped the water flow, the 50w heater wouldn't cut it anymore...had to get 100w.
Logan J
PS: I'll check into the SG/temp thing. I have it here in a book somewhere, but I'm not sure about web resources.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Evaporation is also a factor in the heater capacity if we where to figure up the exact heating capacity needed.

Obviously something could be developed that would give the user an approxomation as to how many watts of heater would be needed.

The biggest factors in sizing a heater in my view are the following
  • Total water in the system
    Temp you want to keep the tank
    Temp the tank is above room temp
    Does the tank get any sun
    How much evaporation does the tank have

I dont think more water current would affect the heater's performance much since the heater is still trying to heat the same volume of water.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
pounds to kilos, gallons to litres, etc also tables of trace elements, and how to convert ammonia at different ph

Happy Fishing!!
melissfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com