New calculators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
What new calculators would you like to see in the calculators section?

There was a question earlier about converting US gallons to Litres. Would a general conversion calculator(s) be nice? To convert some of the common US measurements into metric?

If you have a suggestion please give it here. if you know the formula for calculating it please post that also so i wont have to go searching for it.

That would certainly be very useful, especially for us metric die hards! :lol:

Is there maybe a comparison chart to compare US gallions to UK gallons or something along those line? Or maybe an added result to the conversion result page to display both US and UK gallons?

Thanks for the effort.

Conversions between celsius and Fahrenheit would be helpful.

Conversions between cm and inches and mm and inches would definitely be helpful.

That way for me, a poor metric impaired person, I will be able to quickly convert max sizes for fish that people recommend when the site they give me a link to only provides info in metric.

If possible, it might be handy to modify the Capacity calculators to include;
Weight of water, Recommended Heater wattage and Recommended Lighting wattage (FW & SW).

I've been to other aquaria sites that have calculators like;

Salinity calculator;
Most hydrometers are calibrated for temperatures of 60 degrees F.
To convert to the actual value, enter in the measured temperature, and the measured hydrometer reading. Eg. A specific gravity measurement of 1.020 at 79 degrees F would have an adjustment of 0.00226, producing an actual specific gravity of 1.0223.
Water Hardness calculator;
To convert to dGH or dKH to ppm,
Many tests for General Hardness (GH) and Carbonate Hardness (KH) are for degrees dGH and dKH respectively. (often measured by the number of drops you add to your water sample.)

Just a thought.

Conversions between celsius and Fahrenheit would be helpful

Just put up 2 new calcs. One will do the above conversion and the other will convert from Litres to US gallons to Imperial gallons.

I like the SG temperature correction graph...wouldn't have to be a calculator, just a graph would do.
Logan J

Logan, I have not looked yet on the net for this info so if its out there could you link me to it.

I know there is a correlation between temp and SG but what I dont know is how they are linked and to what degree the SG increases as the temp increases etc. If its a linerar model then a calculator could be done easy enough. If its some kind of logarithmic thing then a chart might be easier.

zephyr said:
I like the idea of the light wattage
good one targaboy 0X

Lighting might be hard to do with out some kind of degree in fluid dynamics or something. Every tank will be different in depth and what needs to be lit that a simple calc or even chart might be hard to compose and have it be accurate and not something that ends up being debated over.

I could do a heater thing if someone could give me the approx number of watts to heat 1 gal of water. Also one factor in heating a tank is how much you need to heat the tank above room temp. The closer you keep your tank to room temp the less heating power you need.

I wonder how much variables like flow and tank covers will affect the heater issue? Say between a covered tank with little flow and an open tank with the surface churning? The reason I ask is that when I uncovered my 10g and upped the water flow, the 50w heater wouldn't cut it anymore...had to get 100w.
Logan J
PS: I'll check into the SG/temp thing. I have it here in a book somewhere, but I'm not sure about web resources.

Evaporation is also a factor in the heater capacity if we where to figure up the exact heating capacity needed.

Obviously something could be developed that would give the user an approxomation as to how many watts of heater would be needed.

The biggest factors in sizing a heater in my view are the following

• Total water in the system
    Temp you want to keep the tank
    Temp the tank is above room temp
    Does the tank get any sun
    How much evaporation does the tank have

I dont think more water current would affect the heater's performance much since the heater is still trying to heat the same volume of water.

Back
Top Bottom