Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2002, 11:36 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
New calculators?

What new calculators would you like to see in the calculators section?

There was a question earlier about converting US gallons to Litres. Would a general conversion calculator(s) be nice? To convert some of the common US measurements into metric?

If you have a suggestion please give it here. if you know the formula for calculating it please post that also so i wont have to go searching for it.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
That would certainly be very useful, especially for us metric die hards!

Is there maybe a comparison chart to compare US gallions to UK gallons or something along those line? Or maybe an added result to the conversion result page to display both US and UK gallons?

Thanks for the effort.

Old 11-29-2002, 12:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Conversions between celsius and Fahrenheit would be helpful.

Conversions between cm and inches and mm and inches would definitely be helpful.

That way for me, a poor metric impaired person, I will be able to quickly convert max sizes for fish that people recommend when the site they give me a link to only provides info in metric.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Good call robert!!
Old 11-29-2002, 02:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
If possible, it might be handy to modify the Capacity calculators to include;
Weight of water, Recommended Heater wattage and Recommended Lighting wattage (FW & SW).

I've been to other aquaria sites that have calculators like;

Salinity calculator;
Most hydrometers are calibrated for temperatures of 60 degrees F.
Quote:
To convert to the actual value, enter in the measured temperature, and the measured hydrometer reading. Eg. A specific gravity measurement of 1.020 at 79 degrees F would have an adjustment of 0.00226, producing an actual specific gravity of 1.0223.
Water Hardness calculator;
To convert to dGH or dKH to ppm,
Quote:
Many tests for General Hardness (GH) and Carbonate Hardness (KH) are for degrees dGH and dKH respectively. (often measured by the number of drops you add to your water sample.)
Just a thought.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Conversions between celsius and Fahrenheit would be helpful
Just put up 2 new calcs. One will do the above conversion and the other will convert from Litres to US gallons to Imperial gallons.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:59 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I like the SG temperature correction graph...wouldn't have to be a calculator, just a graph would do.
Logan J
Old 02-03-2003, 07:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to zephyr
I like the idea of the light wattage
good one targaboy
Old 02-03-2003, 04:15 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Logan, I have not looked yet on the net for this info so if its out there could you link me to it.

I know there is a correlation between temp and SG but what I dont know is how they are linked and to what degree the SG increases as the temp increases etc. If its a linerar model then a calculator could be done easy enough. If its some kind of logarithmic thing then a chart might be easier.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr
I like the idea of the light wattage
good one targaboy
Lighting might be hard to do with out some kind of degree in fluid dynamics or something. Every tank will be different in depth and what needs to be lit that a simple calc or even chart might be hard to compose and have it be accurate and not something that ends up being debated over.

I could do a heater thing if someone could give me the approx number of watts to heat 1 gal of water. Also one factor in heating a tank is how much you need to heat the tank above room temp. The closer you keep your tank to room temp the less heating power you need.

Tags
calculator

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com